100% disk usage cause? Windows 10

alexa1591

Reputable
Jan 18, 2016
Recently been experiencing issues with my 9 month old gaming PC. It began slowing down to a crawl two-three days ago. Explorer would crash every 10 minutes, and programs would hang like a windows xp pc to the point where system would freeze, unresponsive program message would occasionally appear and only option was to reboot. I noticed that hard disk usage (mechanical, seagate 1tb) was constantly at 100% even if no programs were running. Never noticing this before I'm assuming it's related to issues above. This continued and finally this morning after another round of crashes and reboots the PC finally produced blue screen of death stating 'Unmountable boot volume'.

Managed to get it working again by running system repair. Checked health of drive using SMARTmon tools and Powershell and they're saying disk is fine, a few bad sectors but nothing catastrophic. Ran scan disk, disk defrag, virus scanner, disk cleanup (got well over 50gb left) and still nothing has helped. I've noticed in the past that when nvidia release new graphics driver update, if I don't install there and then, the next time I boot up, PC is really slow until driver is updated. Not sure if that's related?

Got to the point where I've decided as PC is still under warranty, to contact the manufactorers who will be sending an engineer out at some point. In meantime I have backed up hard drive, formatted it and reinstalled Windows as I'm assuming that's what engineer will do first. Weird thing is after all that I'm still getting 100% disk usage and my PC is hanging, explorers crashing and I'm having to ultimately reboot every 20 mins. What could possibly be causing this issue?