Disk Usage at 100% at all times, task manager program system causing it

ThinkRamen

Reputable
Apr 3, 2015
Hey, new to Toms Hardware forums and made an account specifically for this problem.
My PC ,running windows 10 Version 1607, has started to slow down, so I checked my Task manager to see if their was a program hindering my performance, as my PC is pretty good(specs down below) and should not be performing this way.
I immediately noticed that under disk the usage is always 100%, the program using up all my disk resources is System. It takes up anything and everything that is freed up. Lets say every other things is taking up 32% System takes up the other 68%. Currently its at System 95%~99% all the time.
I have tried some other methods out there to stop this from happening such as going into settings and turning off tips in settings\system\notifications and actions as this solved the problem some other people on other threads and forums. I also tired a method that involved turning off paging and a method of disabling prefetching as well disabling it at startup.

Anything to help or redirect to a similar thread with an answer would be greatly appreciated :) If I messed up on something like putting this on the wrong section or something sorry! I'm new! It would be great if someone could point it out so I don't make any future mistakes! Thanks!

*CPU: Pentium G3258 Anniversary Edition
*GPU: EVGA FTW GTX 960
*MOBO: MSI z97 PC-Mate lga 1150
*HDD: WD Blue 1TB
*PSU: EVGA 600w Bronze
*RAM: HyperX Fury 1866 mhz

Vengeance_

Reputable
May 9, 2016

I have the same problem as the guy who posted this thread, I have tried this and it did not work for my system running the same Windows version. I never had this issue until I replaced my hard drive with a Seagate I got as a gift, which is model number: ST500LM030-1RK17D. I have tried all methods I could fine online including those mentioned in the thread and some additional ones such as disabling Windows Search service, increasing page file size (didn't delete it, I saw no thread that pointed in that direction), and disabling SuperFetch (which helped with response times a bit, but stopped helping after reboot, service is completely disabled). I have reinstalled Windows 10 several times and the issue never resolved, however after a long (very long)) time, it sometimes will calm down, but it is rare. I checked performance(I might have that wrong, but its a shortcut in task manager in the performance tab), and the system task running with a variety of files. I have done BIOS RAM checks and it passed, I did all Disk Tests (Including SMART, I even checked the results myself, they all seem reasonable) and all passed. My issue seems unique since I cannot find anyone with results similar to mine when dealing with System task using 100% disk. My System task also has the same behavior as mentioned in the thread.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Download Process explorer and run it as admin (it comes from Microsoft so its safe)

the default view is tree structure meaning like your task manager screen, it will show what processes are under service, but unlike task manager, it shows the ram usage of each part so you can see what is eating your ram/storage

Private bytes = actual ram usage
Working set = Ram + page file usage << likely to be where you find cause

This page shows what all the colours and headings mean, link at bottom of it shows how to use it to find problems. You can right click headers and run an av scan from within the program.

Did you make your own thread as it is likely to get more eyes then? New version of win 10 out in next two weeks and it might fix this. I have no proof.

Vengeance_

Reputable
May 9, 2016

Ok, I will give it a try when I get the chance, Im not sure if the new version could fix it, this has been an issue with this Seagate drive only and on every Windows version I have tested it on (7, 8.1, 10). I have had a thought of a very unlikely cause, but I'm going to mention it anyway: Since I do hackintosh (I have installed a legal copy of El Capitan from App Store), I wonder if the partition layout I have set (Mac HFS+ partition first and then Windows NTFS) would cause it. I also boot in EFI mode on BIOS machine but I have determined that isn't a cause since the issue also persists in Legacy installations of Windows (Installed in Legacy Mode). However I find it very unlikely that a partition layout could be causing issues, but then again, Windows is a very finicky Operating System.

Vengeance_

Reputable
May 9, 2016

I believe I have, but I will check that as well.

Colif

Win 11 Master
did you turn indexing off on the Mac partitions? I don't know if its a thing but might add up to the disk activity. windows may have problems with some file types (Or it might not, I haven't got a mac)

I don't think partition layout would cause this. If drive set up to boot using EFI then the location on drive of windows doesn't matter since the efi partition files know where it is., and the boot loader only looks for the efi partition anywhere on the drive. Unlike legacy the efi partition doesn't have to be 1st on drive.

Vengeance_

Reputable
May 9, 2016

Windows couldn't be indexing the partition, since Windows can't natively read/write (much less detect) and HFS or HFS+ partition, it is most likely a page file issue, I have my page file set to initial 4096 (My RAM size), and 8192 (double my RAM size) and it hasn't helped at all, I will certainly try the tool you suggested when i have more time to operate Windows freely, right now I am at school so I don't have a lot of operating time. I will be able to use the tool sometime between 15:30-23:00 Pacific time.

Vengeance_

Reputable
May 9, 2016

Ok this is what I have found in process explorer:
IMG_0590.jpg

I have ran SMART test through seatools, it passed. I have run a Short DST, it passes (and a note: after running short DST, system task went down to 0% and is staying at low levels at my current boot period, however I doubt it will stick but its interesting that happened). I have run a short generic test, it passed. (Another note: several minutes after the tests, System task regained full usage, but still adapted to other tasks needs, but of course the system is slow because of the usage.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Try doing a clean boot and see if it reduces usage - if it does, it means cause is one of your start up programs.

nothing shows as obvious on screen shot. None of your usage totals are larger than mine, so I don't think the problem is windows.

have you checked you have latest sata and chipset drivers for your PC? Do you have Killer Ethernet as it can cause this

I always thought private bytes was ram and that working set was ram + page file, yet I am look at Avast and see its using more ram than its working set total and am confused, It might be how AV work though as my AV program is doing the same << this doesn't really help, I just noticed it.

Vengeance_

Reputable
May 9, 2016

I have had this problem the moment I decided to use this drive. Right after a fresh install of Windows 10, this would happen. I don't even need to install any programs, just first boot and straight to hell. I have installed the latest drivers from HP but I'm gonna check and see if Intel has anything newer (I know HP driver page never keeps up with third party software updates). If it helps, my notebook is an HP HDX16-1370US notebook

UPDATE: I did forget to mention: No I do not have Killer ethernet, I have Realtek ethernet, my chipset is an Intel ICH9

Colif

Win 11 Master
Okay, the problem is the laptop. You don't have any win 8 or 10 drivers, the newest for motherboard is Win 7 and they aren't going to work with win 10. I am surprised it worked before the hdd upgrade, it might be the Intel drivers will fix it if there are any.

it might be that the hdd is way newer than the BIOS, your newest bios is 2009 and drive probably released since then.

laptop site: http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-HDX-X16-Premium-Notebook-PC-series/3945005/model/3979255

Vengeance_

Reputable
May 9, 2016

Well thats the thing, Windows 10 and WIndows 7, despite the numerous differences, are very similar operating systems, therefore Windows 7 drivers often work just fine in newer versions of Windows. My BIOS would be an issue except for the fact that my older machine (A-Bit AG8), is running new stuff in it with no issue, even a newer GPU and much newer HDD, and the BIOS on that machine works with it perfectly, and on Windows 10. And even if your assumption is true, it does not explain the existence of the issue on Windows 7.

UPDATE: I checked event viewer and noticed a lot of FilterManager errors, all with a similar error: File System Filter 'wcifs' Failed to attach (shadow copy address).

Colif

Win 11 Master
windows 10 since version 1607 requires drivers to be digitally signed now by Microsoft to work with 10 so there is a chance the win 7 drivers aren't recognised by win 10 at boot and it uses its own. But yes, that doesn't explain why it happens in 7.

Without another drive to install onto and see if it happens still, its hard to say if problem is drive or something I havem't thought of.

Vengeance_

Reputable
May 9, 2016

I checked device manager, all my drivers from HP site are installed and loaded. This didn't happen on the factory drive, which is a Toshiba MK5055GSX, the problem drive is listed in my signature

UPDATE: I did check my SATA controller, it is Standard SATA AHCI Controller from 2006, im not sure if its the one installed by the chipset utility I ran or a Microsoft loaded one but its labeled as a Microsoft driver, but from 2006? I think that is a bit strange. It is storahci.sys version 10.0.14393.953

UPDATE 2:I checked resource monitor for read usage, write usage, and system tasks (PID 4), this is what shows up:
IMG_0592.jpg

IMG_0593.jpg

IMG_0594.jpg

UPDATE 3: I also notice that when placed under extreme loads, the HDD will ease up and not run System task very often, the same is true for when I let the system sit for hours on end.