M,y system just restarted and updated without any warning while I was playing a game, any way to fix random updates?

Pcenthusiast16

Commendable
Mar 27, 2016
I was playing napoleon total war and suddenly the screen turns black and the pc updates itself, would this harm my pc? Also, is there any way to get notifications or anything that will at least give me some warning?

Solution
go to settings>update & security>updates
click change active hours
set the times PC will not disturb you with updates - if you make it all day the PC will after a few days force the update on you, but if you give it some time at end of day it can install, you both be happier

Colif

Win 11 Master
go to settings>update & security>updates
click change active hours
set the times PC will not disturb you with updates - if you make it all day the PC will after a few days force the update on you, but if you give it some time at end of day it can install, you both be happier

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
So after the black screen, it said "configuring updates" on a blue screen? Got to about 30% and restarted and installed the rest? That is a windows update, I expect you had ignored or had not seen the notification you received an update a few days before and PC just decided to force it.
It shouldn't have hurt PC, just surprised you.

If that wasn't how the update happened, what did it do?