Disk Usage at 100% and can't fix please help!

jlit214

Commendable
Dec 12, 2016
Just this morning I got on my PC and noticed how slow it was. So i checked task manager and so how high my disk usage was. Every time I open anything my usage shoots right up and locks up my computer, its unbearable. I've tried everything and still can't get it to return to normal. Typical fixes I've seen haven't worked. Any tips would highly be appreciated thanks!

Solution
Not sure if any of the usage is page file, how much free ram do you normally have? Win 10 will normally not use page file at all unless it has to swap closed program data into it if you run out of ram.

When you close a program in win 10, instead of dumping all the data onto the page file, it will compress it into ram, just in case you reopen it as its much faster to do that from ram than even an ssd. But if you need that ram to run a game or something, windows will move that old data onto hdd

One way to see is to look in resource monitor
go to task manager>Performance Tab> at bottom of page you find link to Open Resource MOnitor
in the next window, look at the overview for the hdd and find the system service that is using the most...

jlit214

Commendable
Dec 12, 2016

Ah okay I'll try this out and see how it works

Colif

Win 11 Master
Download Process explorer and run it as admin (it comes from Microsoft so its safe)

the default view is tree structure meaning like your task manager screen, it will show what processes are under System, but unlike the other one, it can show the hdd usage of each part so you can see what part of System is using the hdd. If you right click on the header, you can add extra columns - choose the I/O tab and add i/o reads & I/O writes

System process should be near the top of the tree view. Since i killed the process already I can't see anything using it on my screen.

This page shows what all the colours and headings mean, link at bottom of it shows how to use it to find problems. You can right click headers and run an av scan from within the program.

jlit214

Commendable
Dec 12, 2016

I was able to lower my disk usage to 1-10% so its fixed maybe? I guess I'll have to wait and see. Thanks for all your help

Colif

Win 11 Master
Not sure if any of the usage is page file, how much free ram do you normally have? Win 10 will normally not use page file at all unless it has to swap closed program data into it if you run out of ram.

When you close a program in win 10, instead of dumping all the data onto the page file, it will compress it into ram, just in case you reopen it as its much faster to do that from ram than even an ssd. But if you need that ram to run a game or something, windows will move that old data onto hdd

One way to see is to look in resource monitor
go to task manager>Performance Tab> at bottom of page you find link to Open Resource MOnitor
in the next window, look at the overview for the hdd and find the system service that is using the most writes and see what its file line says it is - that is how i found the file name for the first fix I offered.

Solution

jlit214

Commendable
Dec 12, 2016

I'm on my phone right now have to get some rest for work tomorrow. I'll check it out when I get home tomorrow and I'll let you know what I see. Again thanks for all your help I really appreciate it!