Vive or Occulus Touch

Status
Not open for further replies.

king3pj

Distinguished
I've been wanting to get a VR setup for a long time but didn't think there were enough actual games I wanted to play yet to justify the $800. Seeing the Giant Bomb guys play Superhot VR last week makes me think I might be ready to finally take the plunge. That game looks amazing.

I always assumed I would get a Vive because it makes more sense to me to have my VR games in my Steam library with everything else instead of using a separate storefront and library just for VR. Now that Oculus Touch and room scale are supported on the Rift and most Steam VR games are supported I'm starting to reconsider.

My thinking is that Rift has exclusive titles like Superhot that I really want to play. That is the game that made me finally think I'm ready for VR after all. I know that there are third party programs that can let you play Rift games on a Vive but since Steam VR is actually open to the Rift by default that seems like the better way to go.

Is there any real reason not to choose the Rift + Touch Controllers over the Vive now? It seems like going with the Rift would allow me to easily play just about everything on both platforms.

Solution
ADR1FT got some negative reviews on the Oculus forum too, so it's not just people who played it on a monitor. The gameplay is pretty simplistic, and the set of tasks kind of gets repetitive, so I can understand the criticism. I still really loved the ability to float around in space though (especially since it didn't really trigger VR sickness for me).

I'm very excited for Lone Echo, another space EVA game but with more/deeper gameplay and Touch support.

king3pj

Distinguished
Looks like this thread doesn't matter anymore. Amazon currently has a deal where you get a $100 Amazon gift card, EVE Valkyrie, and Obduction if you buy a Rift. Saving $100 and getting two extra games bundled in was enough incentive for me to just make the purchase.

The only bummer is that the Oculus Touch Controllers are currently back-ordered. I placed an order on them but I have no idea when they will be delivered.

I still haven't even dived into Superhot VR yet even though I bought that as part of the launch bundle, there is so much damn awesome content out with Touch.

Having to wait for the controllers is a bummer, but they're definitely worth the wait. And at least you won't have to wait as long as those of us who preordered the Rift. ;)

king3pj

Distinguished
Now the question is whether all those VR optimizations Nvidia advertised for the Pascal GPUs will actually end up being supported by developers. I'm not too worried about performance with my 1070 and i5-4690k right now but I still hope those features actually take off.

king3pj

Distinguished
I wanted to check back in and say that I got my Rift and I'm happy with it so far. Eve Valkyrie was cool and I was surprisingly impressed with what I played of Lucky's Tale. I wasn't expecting a 3rd person platformer to actually be a cool VR experience but it isn't bad.

I also checked out ADR1FT since it is the only game I currently have in my Steam library that supports VR. I probably wouldn't have bought it on it's own since the reviews weren't great but I got it from a Humble Bundle.

I'm guessing most of those negative reviews came from people who were playing the game on a standard monitor and not in VR. It may not be the best gameplay but it makes for a pretty cool VR experience. Floating around in zero gravity above the earth on a broken space station in VR is pretty cool and the sense of scale is awesome. I was only able to play about a half hour of it because I started to feel nauseous but I'm looking forward to checking out some more of it tomorrow.

My Touch Controllers will be here next week and then I can get into the good stuff like Superhot VR and most of the SteamVR titles.

ADR1FT got some negative reviews on the Oculus forum too, so it's not just people who played it on a monitor. The gameplay is pretty simplistic, and the set of tasks kind of gets repetitive, so I can understand the criticism. I still really loved the ability to float around in space though (especially since it didn't really trigger VR sickness for me).

I'm very excited for Lone Echo, another space EVA game but with more/deeper gameplay and Touch support.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.