Christmas sales in Canada

SovietHawk

Commendable
Nov 19, 2016
Going to be building a new computer and was watching computer prices all the way back in early November. I didn't have the ability to grab anything on BF or CM, but nothing I wanted went on sale anyways, but what I did notice was parts started to climb in price. I know this is from retailers trying to squeeze a few extra dollars out during the Christmas season, but can I expect prices to drop back to normal around boxing day?

For example, when I first started watching prices an i7-6700k ran for $399 in Canada but now hovers around the $450 range. Will this hiked price die out or do I have to wait till the new Kaby Lake processors come out for the prices to drop?

Solution

You'd think, but that's not what I've seen. I guess they time it right so there's not too much stock left when the new ones arrive.
Look at the PC partpicker 2 year price history for something like a 4790k. The 6700k came out last August/October, but you can see that the price of the 4790k didn't drop at all other than some BF/CM and boxing week sales.
http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/6vzv6h/intel-cpu-bx80646i74790k?history_days=730

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
If you look at the last half a year, the price for a 6700k has been ~$430+ on a fairly consistent basis. Will it go on sale again? Probably. Definitely interested to see what boxing day/week prices looks like.

FYI, prices on previous gen Intel CPUs don't typically drop much/at all when new ones come out.

SovietHawk

Commendable
Nov 19, 2016
Really? I thought prices were supposed to drop when the new cpu is being sold so they can get rid of the old stock and make room for the new cpu.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

You'd think, but that's not what I've seen. I guess they time it right so there's not too much stock left when the new ones arrive.
Look at the PC partpicker 2 year price history for something like a 4790k. The 6700k came out last August/October, but you can see that the price of the 4790k didn't drop at all other than some BF/CM and boxing week sales.
http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/6vzv6h/intel-cpu-bx80646i74790k?history_days=730

Solution

TRENDING THREADS