Windows won't start first boot, and freezes when going to sleep

ColonelGorilla

Commendable
Dec 14, 2016
About 75% of the time I boot my computer, my screen goes blank after seeing the login screen (I try typing before it goes blank, but it does nothing, it's frozen) and then after a second the screen goes black. My PC is still running, but no display. About half the time it messes up like this, a blue screen of death pops up, but just for a second, it doesn't give a detailed analysis, something like "Computer failed to load".

When this happens, I turn off my PC and then it boots up fine.

Another problem is leaving my PC idle, and it goes to the black screen where it won't wake up (but my PC is still running).

Windows 10-64 bit
AMD FX 6300
16 GB Ram
AMD R9 380x
750w psu
1tb Samsung SSD

Colif

Win 11 Master
check you have latest motherboard drivers & bios

You can turn fast startup off which might make it work better: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-fast-startup-turn-off-windows-10-a.html

I don't use sleep, instead, in power settings, I set screen to turn off after 30 minutes but have PC to never turn off. I have seen that black screen and my power settings just let me ignore it. If I going away for a long time, i just turn it off.

Solution

LukeFatwalker

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
This sounds like a Power Supply or MOBO issue. Essentially your Motherboard sounds like it has lost standby power. This could be because of your PSU, or it could be the board itself. Hard to say.

Should go without saying (but I have to!) but you should run a backup before you make any hardware changes. Disk imagers like Macrium Reflect or Drive Cloner Rx may be the way to go.