Am I infected?

Reece_8

Commendable
Dec 15, 2016
Hey guys

So last night I was just playing some games when my Discord and Steam started going crazy. My Discord push to talk button kept getting spammed and my Steam went weird. I turned off my laptop in panic.

This morning I started up my laptop and as I got to the desktop, the CMD opened and started executing a bunch of stuff. I think it kept trying to do the same thing over and over and it said something like "The system could not find the information specified." Once again I turned it off in panic.

Am I infected? I'm scared to turn it on tbh lol. What should I do?

gareththegiant

Honorable
Dec 15, 2015
Probably not infected. Have you opened anything dodgy from an email recently? do you have a anti virus and firewall are they turned off. If you are worried try running a virus scan. Can you also give us some more info on what command the cmd was running

Reece_8

Commendable
Dec 15, 2016

I only use Gmail and I haven't checked it in a while. I use Windows Defender (probably a bad idea lol) and Windows Firewall which should be on, but I don't want to check as if the cmd opens again it might be able to steal passwords from my internet browsers (right?). The cmd has a path I believe as I think it said c://users or something like that.

My plan is to boot it in safe mode and see if it still happens. Is that a good idea?

gareththegiant

Honorable
Dec 15, 2015
i dont think that you are infected. if you are worried restore your laptop to an earlier point. and get rid of defender sophos home is free and works well. also best thing you can do to protect your laptop is make your normal user account a just user and create a local admin account

LukeFatwalker

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
If you are worried, best idea would be to back up your data and re-install the OS.

As for your configuration, it could use some work. Malwarebytes is essential these days; but also it really comes down to backing up your computer. If you have a clean backup, there's no reason why you can't just restore the machine and problem be solved. You may have a solution in this regard, but you should consider a snapshot solution (i.e. RollBack Rx) and a disk imager (i.e. Macrium Reflect).