SSD with Win 10 Pro transfer from Dell Latitude 7440 with i5-4300u to Latitude 7470 with i7-6600u

Hard_ware

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2015
I would like to upgrade form my Latitude e7440 with i5-4300u to Latitude 7470 with i7-6600u.

Can I migrate my SSD from Latitude e7440 to new SSD on Latitude 7470 with a simple clone tool?
Will it run without problems on new Latitude e7470?

Any proposals to make the transition as easy as possible?

Thank you for help

Solution
No, you will need to reinstall windows and programs on both.

If the motherboards were exactly the same or at least had the same chipset then you might get away with it.
Since you are going from gen4 hardware to gen6 hardware then you will have very different hardware, not to mention your win 7 -> win 10 disk was running on MBR and likely legacy mode and the new computer will want GPT with UEFI.
cloning as such is bound to cause problems, windows license, drivers and other issues included.
Easiest way is to simply copy your data over with either USB stick, external hard disk or lan cable.

If the "to be" laptop doesn't have SSD and that is why you want to move it over, it could mean that you need to reinstall everything including windows.

You could in theory use something like http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx to create an image of the "to be copied" disk (in this case 7470's hard disk) and then put that on the SSD which you would then put in 7470
You would need to have both connected at same time which would require external SATA bay to plug other drive to or separate desktop computer.

In short... if moving the disk, reinstall is best bet.
if moving data, copying is easiest choice

if you want to do something fancy, cost/effort needed spiral quickly out of control unless you already have/know what you need. (in which case you wouldn't ask about it here)

Hard_ware

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2015

On Latitude 7440 is an SSD with 128GB and OEM Win 7 pro which was upgrade to Win 10 Pro.
On Latitude 7470 will be a brand new 256GB with an OEM Win 10 Pro

Main goal is to get all my programmes and settings from the old Dell 7440 to the new Dell 7470, so I don´t need to reinstall everything.

No, you will need to reinstall windows and programs on both.

If the motherboards were exactly the same or at least had the same chipset then you might get away with it.
Since you are going from gen4 hardware to gen6 hardware then you will have very different hardware, not to mention your win 7 -> win 10 disk was running on MBR and likely legacy mode and the new computer will want GPT with UEFI.

Solution
As boosted1g said, there is no shortcuts on that. "So I don't need to reinstall everything" will not work.
said "everything" will involve data, which you could copy and registry entries, which you can't really copy.
in theory, you could but...you would have had to take snapshot of registry and whole drive before and after EACH program install to find out the difference. (and find out what differences were due to install) to make it work.
you didn't do that? well, no easy copy-over then.

so.. reinstall all programs, copy your things over and deal with it, there are no real shortcuts around it.
some program settings and browser bookmarks/settings can be transferred between computers though but on that, it depends on the browsers and/or programs and can usually be found by googling "transfer XXXXXXXX settings to new computer" where X's represent the program/application.