Can't not boot into bios, all i get is a black screen with a dash instead/

Spiralwind

Reputable
Jun 30, 2016
When ever i try to open the bios on start all i get is a black screen with a dash. I have tried everything i know of from going into the troubleshooting menu to open it and from f2,f12,esc,del,f11 it won't show up and i can't force it because i am not able to open up my own laptop because thats forces you to take of everything.

Here are my specs:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version 10.0.14393 Build 14393
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name GAMINGPRO
System Manufacturer Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.
System Model GS70 2QE
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU To be filled by O.E.M.
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4710HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz, 2501 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. E1773IMS.10I, 2015-09-01
SMBIOS Version 2.8
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.
BaseBoard Model Not Available
BaseBoard Name Base Board

Solution
to get into the bios on an msi laptop its the del key. As soon as you hit the power button molest the del key, they boot of m2 drives so its pretty quick. sounds like your missing the del key and then it cant find a boot drive and your getting a blinking white line

LukeFatwalker

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
This issue is something that's typically hardware based, it's also something that you're not going to test easily as it could be a wide variety of things.

Where you start is I recommend you remove everything but Motherboard, RAM, PSU, and Graphics Card. Pull out an individual part and test one by one until you are able to boot into BIOS. If neither of those are the case then it may be Motherboard, RAM, PSU, and Graphics Card.

MWP0004

Respectable
Oct 26, 2016

I doubt that is an option as the 4710HQ is a laptop processor.

LukeFatwalker

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015

That's not good. In that case, your best option is to contact your Laptop's manufacturer for a repair.

to get into the bios on an msi laptop its the del key. As soon as you hit the power button molest the del key, they boot of m2 drives so its pretty quick. sounds like your missing the del key and then it cant find a boot drive and your getting a blinking white line

Solution