USB Ports not working

Huwbob5

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2014
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-3268659/blue-screen-fix-windows.html I recently had a few blue screen errors and posted a thread about it in hopes of getting fix. I have added a link to the thread. After someone responded i went through the fixes they suggested but must have removed the wrong driver because now none of my USB ports work post boot including 2.0s. S0 because of this i am unable to log in or have any control of the system.

I have tried taken the SSD drive out and injecting a driver install using the cmd prompt through a laptop but this didn't work and gave no error. When trying to install the driver using the laptop i get an error saying the host controller was not found. I got a USB to PS/2 adaptor in an attempt to get control that way but no device was picked up, tried 2 mouses and a keyboard.

Solution
Hello Huwbob5

You mentioned the USB ports won't work post boot. Does this mean that during the Windows boot process, i.e. when the operating system is not fully booted, the mouse and keyboard work?

If so, I would suggest you to Boot Windows in Safe Mode and then restart it normally. Many times this fixes the issue.

If this solution fails, you can Boot Windows in Command Prompt and Run the SFC /SCANNOW Command and let it detect and fix the issue automatically.

Please report back if any further help is needed.

Cheers!!
Hello Huwbob5

You mentioned the USB ports won't work post boot. Does this mean that during the Windows boot process, i.e. when the operating system is not fully booted, the mouse and keyboard work?

If so, I would suggest you to Boot Windows in Safe Mode and then restart it normally. Many times this fixes the issue.

If this solution fails, you can Boot Windows in Command Prompt and Run the SFC /SCANNOW Command and let it detect and fix the issue automatically.

Please report back if any further help is needed.

Cheers!!

Solution