Best Monitor for a GTX 1080, money is no object.

Ar00gu

Commendable
Nov 17, 2016
What is the current top monitor to complement a GTX 1080? G-sync seems to be a prerequisite for this, as does refresh rates above 60hz.

Right now the ASUS Swift PG348Q and the Acer Predator X34 appear to be the top choices, but I am not all certain between the two and I don't know if there are any further choices in this pursuit.

Thank you in advance!

Solution
Honestly i would wait after CES 2017 and see if there are any good HDR and OLED options coming out soon as that would make it more future proof.

larsv8

Distinguished
The next iteration of the X34, the X34P should be coming out sometime in the first part of 2017.

That will probably be the top of the line monitor.

If you don't like widescreen, the one greens posted is pretty great.

The thing with monitors is there isn't one cut above the rest, there are a couple different ones which come out on top for different features. It really depends on what types of games you play and what type of experience you want.

If you only play RPGs, a 4k monitor might work for you since, response time, input lag, high fps, are less important. If you are a hardcore FPS player, then a lower resolution monitor with a high refresh rate (FPS cap) would be more important.

There is a lot of good information here:
https://www.monitornerds.com/best-gaming-monitor-for-you-144hz-1440p-gsync-freesync-4k/

Ar00gu

Commendable
Nov 17, 2016

Great advice! Thank you!

Acer XB271HU or Asus PG279Q. These are 165 Hz IPS models, with **real** as tested 3ms combined response / lag times.

The wide screens just don't keep up performance wise ... The two monitors mentioned are only 60 hz ... with up to 100hz on the OC ... Also have higher response and lag times.

Until Monitors with Display Port 1.4 come along, I wouldn't even consider anything above 1440p.

Ar00gu

Commendable
Nov 17, 2016
I've gone with the Acer Predator XB321H.
32 inch, 60 hz, 3840 x 2160 (4K), 4ms, 16:9, IPS.
$1,599 on amazon. Yikes.
I'll post review response on this thread after 3 months' usage.

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador

No point posting it here, it will barely get any views, you'll just be bumping an old thread. Could post it to Reddit or something.

You didn't spend 1600, did you?

Ar00gu

Commendable
Nov 17, 2016
You didn't spend 1600, did you?[

I did. Reason to stand aghast for anyone but it was within my financial limit and I wanted the best to go with my GTX 1080. It's a mystery whether it's good for me, but I have return with free shipping until 1/31/17 from *mazon.

I'll take your advice on where to post, thank you.

newbie12

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2011

I hope that monitor doesn't use the same panel as the Benq BL3201PT or else you might have issues with it.....

Man, after dropping 1.6k. I'd have a huge case of Buyer's Remorse once Display Port 1.4 compatible monitors w/ high refresh drop. Not necessarily because not getting above 60 Hz will bother everyone, but the price of 60 Hz 4K monitors will tumble in a big way once they drop. I just don't get how GFX cards are at 1.4 and Monitors and cables still stuck at 1.2

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador

Definitely feels like monitors are a bit behind in time or something. The backlight bleed and build quality issues high-end monitors are having are pretty ridiculous. Talking about models that easily cost over 600+ dollars, quite unacceptable thinking about it. It's that difficult to design a monitor which doesn't look like a light bulb at night it seems like?