Add HDMI TV to PC VGA as 2nd monitor

dave0judy

Honorable
Mar 1, 2013
I currently have a Dell S2440L Monitor connected to my DVI port on my PC (HP Envy 700-214) Graphics card. I would now like to hook up a 2nd monitor, using my Vizio D24-D1 TV's HDMI port to my VGA port on my Graphics Card.

Researching this, I have found VGA to HDMI converters, with a VGA connector at one end and an HDMI connector on the other. Also, the VGA side has a 3.5mm audio wire coming from it to be connected to the sound output port on the PC to provide sound to this TV. Since the sound output now has the PC speakers connected, I assume that I will need a splitter, one for the speakers and one for the new TV monitor?

Can someone confirm that this would work or not, or if there might be an easier and better way?

Solution
no problem at all. only reason to run the sound is if you want it to come through the tv. if your pc speakers are fine for all the uses, then no reason to worry about it.

the cable i linked has the audio included but you don't have to connect it to anything if you don't want to. just offered the splitter as it answered the first question you asked.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
[strike]don't think there is an easier way. you will have to split the sound like you noticed so it goes to the tv and your speakers. that or just use your pc speakers for sound for it all.

those cables work fine and will easily give your tv a 1080p signal it can use. won't be doing any gaming on the tv like that but movies and such will work fine. the cable should be cheap so not a big deal really. i bought such a cable years ago that was dvd-i to hdmi and i think i paid $12 for a 20 ft one.

the splitter should be pretty cheap as well. since it is a normal headphone jack, a simple $2 headphone splitter is all you'd need. nothing digital or anything pricey going on there.
get those couple cheap items and you'll be good to go [/strike]

edit: your tv does have a vga port on it. so all you'd need is the audio splitter for sound and a long vga cable. even easier :) well that and a long sound cable to get to the tv

dave0judy

Honorable
Mar 1, 2013

My TV does have a VGA port, but in my research most advise that a straight port to port cable generally will not work unless there is a converter in between. Possibly they mean when the ports are different types that a conversion is needed? If VGA to VGA works, then sound needs to be output from PC to sound input on TV using 3.5mm cable, right?

there would be an RCA type output for audio for the VGA port. at this point i would go to the vizio website and download a copy of your tv's manual

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
what folks said probably refers to changing ports with just a cable. the newer gpu's don't do this as well as the older gens did. but in your case a simple long vga cable should have no issues. i still use on in my shop for the same purpose. works great on the 1080p tv it's hooked to.

as you can see from the pic. your tv has an audio input next to the vga port for sound.

back_panel.jpg

you'll just need to split the audio from the mobo and run a 3.5mm cable to the tv along side the vga one. again should not be too expensive. splitter and audio/video cable should be ~$10 for 20ft or so of reach.

i see splitters from $1-$10. here is a decent one for $2 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812101105&cm_re=audio_spltter-_-12-101-105-_-Product

here is a 15 ft vga cable with the audio cable built in for $10. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882021084&cm_re=vga_cable-_-82-021-084-_-Product

nice and cheap :D

dave0judy

Honorable
Mar 1, 2013

I am just rethinking the sound cable, that all of the PC sound now goes to the speakers via the output port. As my first monitor does not have sound to it, why the second monitor would need sound cabled to it either? Wouldn't it be ok just connecting just the VGA cable to the TV for the video, letting the speakers provide the sound?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
no problem at all. only reason to run the sound is if you want it to come through the tv. if your pc speakers are fine for all the uses, then no reason to worry about it.

the cable i linked has the audio included but you don't have to connect it to anything if you don't want to. just offered the splitter as it answered the first question you asked.

Solution