Computer BSOD, does not boot into safe mode.

Steelguy2331

Honorable
Jul 11, 2013
Ok, so, a really long story.

Few hours ago, I was playing some Overwatch, farming for those winter crates. I had some driver downloads going on in the background so I could install them later after my game (Nvidia display driver and a few intel chipset drivers, I can't recall which ones exactly). Right after installing and rebooting my computer, I get back into Overwatch. Boom, whole screen goes yellow. I have to power cycle. During startup, these green artefacts appear on the POST screen. On the windows icon with the loading symbol, my display crashes, and I have to hit the reset button. The boot never got past the windows icon before it crashed. After an hour or so of trying to get the thing working again (which involved swapping PCIE slots for my GPU and launching startup repair), I finally manage to boot into windows without the display crashing (unplugging and replugging the GPU from the PCIe slot seemed to do the trick). At this point, I decide to reinstall the Nvidia drivers, thinking it would solve the issue. Nope, it made it worse. I tried my hand at Overwatch again, and it does the exact same crash. But, this time, I can't even boot into windows. It gives me the "Your PC ran into a problem" screen and the "collecting some error info" is stuck on 0%. It also says "Critical process died". I have to power cycle to get out of the screen but trying to boot into windows gives me the same screen. I've tried getting into safe mode using F8, but that gets me into the boot drive menu (Asus motherboard). Even if I mash F8 after selecting a drive (SSD has my OS on it), it just boots me into windows and the whole error repeats.

Now I'm stumped. I've tried repeatedly to try and bring up the safe mode menu and startup repair with no luck. I've checked the motherboard manual online (Asus Z87-A). The F5 key, which was supposed to bring me straight into safe mode, does nothing.

I planned to bring my PC to the repair shop tomorrow, but I'm wondering if any of you guys have any suggestions that I might try to get the computer working again? At this rate, it looks like I have to do a fresh install of Windows 10 to get it working again.

As a heads up, I don't have a computer or a USB/backup drive with me right now. (Typing this on my phone.)

Thanks for any input, it's much appreciated.

Solution
Ok. of course:
Power down the PC > unplug the power cord from the wall outlet > unplug all the cables back > open the chassis's > make sure that every connector, every memory module is seated correctly > make sure that all cable connectors to the mother board are secured and properly inserted.

Best regards from Sweden
Hi,
I'm sorry to hear.
But, it sounds that it could be the graphics card?

Asus Z87-A motherboard has support for at least HDMI port and perhaps another type as well.
My suggestion:

Power down the PC > unplug the power cord from the wall outlet > unplug all the cables back > open the chassis's and remove the graphics card - but hey this is important: first unscrew the two Philips screws from the front end > gently unplug its either one or two power connectors > then put your finger on the lower rear side of the card and push the leveler aside (it is a kind of a lock) > then you can just pull the card right up.

Now, attache your monitor connector to either your mobos HDMI port or DVI port.
Fire it up and see what happens?
If the computer works well - then you have a serious problem with your graphics card.

Best regards from Sweden

Steelguy2331

Honorable
Jul 11, 2013
Oh shoot, I forgot to mention this. I've tried that already, it's not the graphics card problem. The motherboard display port (DVI?) has the exact same result as the graphics card, BSOD

Ok.
Perhaps You have a faulty memory module?
If this is the case, there will be problem with almost everything including graphics.
So to find out:

I have a suggestion if it possible for you to either download memtest from this computer or from another:
Here is the instruction:

Test Your memory's:
Run memstest86+ Download and install Memtest86+ it's a free s/w http://www.memtest.org/
Create a bootable CD/DVD or USB-stick, it is a very small program, it will easily fit on a CD.

Then boot the computer from this, memtest86+ will automatically start, and don't worry - it will not in any way compromise nor touch anything on the hard drives.
You must run memtes86+ until at least pass 8,9,10 and 11 (it uses different test pattern then) and for 8GB of memory with an Intel 2600K it will take the whole night, approx 4-5 hours, if 16GB memory - twice as long.
If an error occur, You can just shut it down. Then You know that it is a serious problem with your memory's.
Take out all memory stick but one and run the test again - it will be much faster.
If no problem, replace the memory stick and run memtest86+ again so that you now which memory stick is faulty.

Best regards from Sweden

Ok. of course:
Power down the PC > unplug the power cord from the wall outlet > unplug all the cables back > open the chassis's > make sure that every connector, every memory module is seated correctly > make sure that all cable connectors to the mother board are secured and properly inserted.

Best regards from Sweden

Solution