Cpu or Gpu upgrade for best vr experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbennik

Reputable
Aug 16, 2015
Hi all i have a couple of questions if some of you computer wizards can help and point me in the right direction. In the new year im gettin a oculus rift now due to the wife not understanding the physical need to get more fps by spending vast amounts of money ill only be able to upgrade either my gpu or cpu my current setup is this
Mobo: ASRock 970A-G/3.1
Cpu: AMD FX-8350 OC to 4.4ghz
Psu:Coolermaster GM 750 80plus. Bronze modular
ram: 32gb ddr3 cosair vengeance pro
2400mhz
Cooler: Coolermaster V8 ver.2. . 8 heatpipe, vapor chamber
Gpu: Asus GTX-1060 6gb rog strix
Gaming oc
Ssd:sandisk ultra 480gb
And 7x Coolermaster jet flo case fans in a generic cheap gaming pc case. And yes at full load it sounds like a light aircraft on take off lol but it does keep case temps below 40c. Water cooling is a must.
But back to my main question would a GTX-1080 or a new motherboard and a i7 6700 or 6800 give a better vr experience and if the cpu needs changing is it worth keeping the ddr3 memory or upgrading to a ddr4 mobo and try and make some cash back on the old ram?.
I know it was abit of a long question but diddnt want to miss anything
Thanks

Solution
I'd second the upgrade the CPU response... I went from a FX 8350 to a I7 6700k and the difference was night and day... I'm a big fan of AMD, but the FX line has never been super great, just great priced IMO... :)

Since you have a Strix 1060, I'm guessing your budget for upgrading has to be at least 400 or so for a 1070 or more for a 1080...

The I7 6700k is on sale typically for around 300 on new egg and you could pick up a motherboard for about 150, so your good... You can probably use the same cooling you have for you FX chip, most are compatible...

Adam
Probably a CPU upgrade. DDR3 memory holds back performance with a Skylake CPU, I would recommend upgrading to DDR4 if you go that way. If you did want to save that money, a Haswell-based system might make more sense. Though it's not great to be buying old hardware.

adamscurr

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2013
I'd second the upgrade the CPU response... I went from a FX 8350 to a I7 6700k and the difference was night and day... I'm a big fan of AMD, but the FX line has never been super great, just great priced IMO... :)

Since you have a Strix 1060, I'm guessing your budget for upgrading has to be at least 400 or so for a 1070 or more for a 1080...

The I7 6700k is on sale typically for around 300 on new egg and you could pick up a motherboard for about 150, so your good... You can probably use the same cooling you have for you FX chip, most are compatible...

Adam

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.