Can a G3258 w/ R9-290X play most modern games @ 1080p?

G

System specs:

*G3258 on H81m motherboard
*8GB RAM (2x4)
*Diamond R9-290X dual fan
*EVGA 500W PSU
*Antec VSK-4000E case
*Hitachi 320GB 7200PM HDD

I've played Warframe on it without any troubles, but I'm not sure how well it will do with most of the popular modern games. Any input would be appreciated.

Note: I'm not looking for suggestions on how to upgrade/alter this build. Just wanting to know how it will do as-is.

bignastyid

Titan
Many modern games don't run well on dual core cpus that don't have hyperthreading. An i5 4460(or any haswell i5 really) would be a good upgrade. However you should also look into replacing your PSU. A mediocre quality 500w psu running a card with a such a high power demand is a failure waiting to happen, especially once you get a cpu that will allow the gpu to stretch it's legs.

G

Any ideas which games would have trouble and which would be OK? The G3258 is OC to 4.4Ghz btw.

I didn't make this machine for me, but for a friend who is unemployed and kind of down on his luck. I had a lot of extra parts laying around. That said, as good of a friend as he is, I'm not gonna buy him an i5 :)

bignastyid

Titan
CS:GO is popular and will run well. WOW would also do ok. But other more thread games like BF1(even bringing i5s to their knees) wouldn't. GTA V would run but he may see some stuttering a drops at times.