What is it with bad motherboards and customer service lately?

hopper33

Reputable
Dec 18, 2016
TL,DR: Please refer to subject line.

I have done a number of builds and lately noticing bad motherboards with BIOS issues and customer service that just wants to blame the consumer while looking for a money grab.

I purchased an EVGA 99x Classified, 2011-v3. Immediately on boot it errors. Informed that the board was shipped without and updated BIOS. They send a new BIOS chip, I install it, same error code. I call tech support, given an RMA, told I would receive a new board.

Get motherboard, it's poorly packed, finger prints all over metal parts... Obviously not a new motherboard. Install it, doesn't boot. Worse than the first one. Called EVGA again... 3rd time now... get a line about "numerous testing... passed." I don't believe it for a second. Get a 2nd RMA approval.

I take the motherboard to local dealer to inspect it. Everything checks out with other components, except there are bent pins in the motherboard socket. Local tech says that it has to be a manufacturing issue or packaging. I know I carefully installed the CPU (Intel i7-6800k), tell this to tech and he says not an installation issue. CPU's are flat and where the pins are bent it would not be from installation.

I can EVGA again and tell them the findings from my local tech. They blame me for the bent pins and want to charge me repair them. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

I am looking for a different motherboard, but every one I see has bad reviews relating to BIOS issues, bent socket pins, and bad customer service... This is across the board (pardon the pun.) EVGA, MSI, ASUS. Doesn't seem to matter the brand. Is there anything reliable out there, or when you purchase a motherboard these days are entering the lottery?

Sorry for a rant, but I just want a complete a build, with quality components, and have options to fix if it doesn't work. Not baseless finger pointing from the manufacturer, after receiving a defective product.