Need help choosing a good monitor

Jesse Liss

Honorable
Dec 18, 2013
I'm looking to buy a mid range decent gaming monitor, and could use some help making a decision.
I have been playing on a 40 inch Samsung 1080p tv for the last few years, but this always had a few issues. First, I couldn't go above 1080p. Second, It was restricted to 60hz, and it always caused some motion blur that has become more and more noticeable.

So I'd like to get a gaming monitor. The only issue I run into is having to go from 40 inches to like 27. I found the BenQ BL3200PT, which is 32 inches, and might ease the pain a bit, but it is only 60hz.

I don't play competitive games, 99% of the games I play are RPGs, like Witcher, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Skyrim, etc. etc.so I doubt input lag is something I should worry about. So I'm wondering would it be worth getting the 32 inch Benq, even at the refresh rate of 60hz? Is there something better that is around the same size? Or should I say screw it and get a 4k tv? I've got a GTX 1070 SC, which is just on the cusp of 4k viability.

I've been researching all these different screen types, refresh rates, etc, but could use some help making sense of all of it.

Solution
I ended up biting the bullet and bought an ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q. It was only a couple hundred more than the monitor I was going to buy, and it has everything I wanted and more, with g-sync.

mangaman

Honorable
If your a fan of IPS, the Acer H277H smidx 27-Inch might be a good choice. Its 1080p, has 4ms response time and costs $258. Certianly a lot less then the BenQ, but it does have a smaller screen then the BenQ. However, if IPS isn't your cup of tea, then the BenQ is a great monitor for what your doing. VA won't have the vivid color display such as an IPS panel, so it all personal preference.

Hope this helps.

Jesse Liss

Honorable
Dec 18, 2013
I've never actually experienced IPS. The last proper monitor I had was an Asus vs247h-p. But I hated how small it was, so I got the 40 inch tv instead. I'm willing to go down to 27 inches if it means a better image quality and 144hz. But at the same time, that won't matter if my hardware can't get that fps anyways.

I use Nvidia to use 4k resolution, which they then scale it back to 1080p, which is my tv's resolution, and on ultra I only get 40fps, so a 144hz monitor wouldn't help me in that regard anyways. Going to 1440 maxes out my fps at 60, so I don't know how many fps I'd actually get from a 144hz monitor.

I'm willing to spend around 500 for a decent monitor if it has enough to warrant the purchase. Or maybe I should just buy a new 1080p tv that has true 120hz refresh rate.

mangaman

Honorable
A lot of the 1440p monitors that are 120Hz/144Hz will be way out of your buget, ($600-$1000). Plus going from a 60Hz monitor to a 144Hz monitor won't change the frame rate of games, unless your system is capable of 60+fps, then you'll experience a difference. Since you dislike small monitors maybe the ASUS PB328Q 32" WQHD 2560x1440 might be a good option or, (if you want 1080p) the ViewSonic CDE4302 43" 1080p or the NEC E425 42". I would do research on all three to see which one suits your best needs.

Jesse Liss

Honorable
Dec 18, 2013
I was looking at the Asus PB328Q. The main thing I don't want is a lot of motion blur. I play most games on ultra settings, and don't think I can get much higher than 60 fps anways, so I guess the hz isn't a deal breaker. But I absolutely don't want a ton of motion blur. I've read some reviews saying the PB328Q has hardly any blur, and others saying it has terrible motion blur.

I've been looking at the Benq Zowie xl2730, which has everything I could want, except it's a TN panel for some reason.
I've also been looking at Asus PG279Q. It's a couple hundred dollars more, but it seems to be one of the best monitors around right now, and I wouldn't have to sacrifice anything.

I never in a million years thought it would be this difficult to buy a monitor.

Jesse Liss

Honorable
Dec 18, 2013
I ended up biting the bullet and bought an ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q. It was only a couple hundred more than the monitor I was going to buy, and it has everything I wanted and more, with g-sync.

Solution

Dr Girlfriend

Reputable
Sep 12, 2015
First off you don't need 144hz. The higher frame rate matters with competitive gaming. It doesn't at all with the games you play. Best cost to value is a nice IPS 2k/4k 60hz monitor.

Check out:
BenQ BL3201PT
Samsung S34E790C

Edit: just read your reply, so NVM on this post, hope you enjoy your new monitor!