Looking for a dvi-d to dvi-i adapter - hard to find

durangod

Honorable
Aug 10, 2016
Hi, i shopped newegg and also local computer stores and no one had this. It might not even exist so i thought i would ask here.

I need a adapter with dvi-d female on one end and dvi-i male on the other end.

I am trying to get away from vga completely and my additional older monitor has a dvi-d connection on the back, i have a cable to fit the old display but the other end is a dvi-i connection so i need to convert it from dvi-d to dvi-i.

I found some dvi-d to hdmi adapters but i was told that if i am going from vga i need to use the flexability of the dvi-i port rather than hdmi.

Does this dvi-d female to dvi-i male adapter even exist?

But of course with my luck i found one but its NOT available GRRRRR...

https://www.amazon.com/DVI-D-Female-Connection-Adapter-Converter/dp/B005EJQYZ2

lack of adapters is most likely because DVI-I also has analog signal (4 pins) which DVI-D does not.
You cannot simply change digital to analog with pin change on adapter.

Possible positive sides on the matter:
DVI-D fits in DVI-I connector, it just wont transfer analog VGA signals.
If monitor has DVI-D connector, it doesn't need analog signals, thus getting new DVI-D-DVI-D cable should work just fine.

7801.dvid.gif

That is, unless your GPU has DVI-I port, in which case it should still work since it wouldn't detect anything on the analog pins and thus would opt for digital, working again just fine with dvi-D to dvi-D cable.
That is.. IF the monitor connection is DVI-D like you said, I see no great benefit in having DVI-D to DVI-I cable unless other side also supports the analog signal that DVI-I supports. There is no benefit, none..

durangod

Honorable
Aug 10, 2016
Thanks little_me, appreciate the images, i have seen the A on some sites (no images) and didnt know what it looked like.

OK ill just use the DVI-D cable i have and go from my display to the DVI-I on the card.

Thanks so much.. :)

durangod

Honorable
Aug 10, 2016
Hi, wanted to update this. I spoke with MSI tech support and they had me test the onboard display ports and i was getting no signal at all. So they did a RMA and i was going to return it until i fixed it myself. They did not even have me check the bios.

Solution: The trick was to leave my display 1 hooked up to the HDMI port on the GPU, and move my display 2 to the dvi-d connection on the board integrated display port. Then go into bios and turn on the integrated display port. When you install a card i guess it turns off your mobo ports so you just have to go turn them back on. Then after you boot it back up go into windows control panel displays section and change it from extend display to duplicate display on 1 and 2 and then save and reboot.

Now when you play a game or something else on display 1, you can still use display 2 any way you like.

So i guess their tech support is not very knowledgeable about bios. So im canceling my RMA