HDMI output suddenly not making it through HDMI-to-DVI adapter (from laptop to monitor)

jbourne84

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008
Toshiba Satellite (2016)
Windows 10
Nvidia Geforce GTX 950m

My laptop has an HDMI port, I plug my HDMI to DVI adapter into this, then a DVI cable into the adapter which runs into the back of the monitor. This has worked fine forever. Then the other morning I come in, wake the laptop, and I get no signal to the monitor. I've tried different cables/adapters, I tested my HDMI signal elsewhere (direct HDMI into a TV, it works). I plugged another laptop (mac book pro) up to my monitor with the same cables (it all works).

Something about the signal my laptop is putting out has suddenly changed so that it will not make it through the HDMI-to-DVI adapter.

I have had some updates, but nothing to the NVIDIA display drivers, are there any other hardware or firmware drivers related to this I could "roll back" ? Or any other ideas of what has happened here?

Thanks for any suggestions on this

Solution
Was there something you installed that stopped it from working, such as maybe a sound driver update? You said the HDMI connects to your DVI adapter into another adapter to your monitor? HDMI also carries a sound signal so perhaps it could be affecting it?

If that's not it, then try hard connecting the HDMI to a monitor that has it and if that works it could be your adapter that's failing? You mentioned that you connect your HDMI to your tv and it works fine so how about updating your NVIDIA drivers and see what happens?

If all else fails , you can always do a system restore and rollback your Laptop to roughly when it did start working, but that's a last ditch effort I think. Good luck!

Quarkzquarkz

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2013
Was there something you installed that stopped it from working, such as maybe a sound driver update? You said the HDMI connects to your DVI adapter into another adapter to your monitor? HDMI also carries a sound signal so perhaps it could be affecting it?

If that's not it, then try hard connecting the HDMI to a monitor that has it and if that works it could be your adapter that's failing? You mentioned that you connect your HDMI to your tv and it works fine so how about updating your NVIDIA drivers and see what happens?

If all else fails , you can always do a system restore and rollback your Laptop to roughly when it did start working, but that's a last ditch effort I think. Good luck!

Solution

jbourne84

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008

Thanks for the response, I'll try the sound drivers, I connected the laptop to a tv HDMI to HDMI with a standard cable and it all worked, I tried two different adapters and got them both to work on a second laptop on my monitor, it's definitely something about my laptops signal.