Monitor loses signal when playing far cry 3

Cracklr

Commendable
Oct 7, 2016
Recently bought far cry 3 but haven't have the chance to enjoy the game yet because on the first cut scene my monitor losing signal f and wont come back on making the game unplayable. I've changed the HDMI cable but that hasn't worked. Have this problem with mafia 2 and rust.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/B4PTZ8

Solution
It sounds like your graphics setup is over heating. I have the same problem on my computer when I play Assassins Creed Blackflag. Check to make sure your system is not over heating, if that is the case you could try dusting it out or quite possibly you need a rig with better cooling. You said Mafia and Rust do it as well? check the system requirements (specifically graphics requirements and make sure you are running within safe parameters :) good luck, happy gaming :D :D

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
When the monitor turns off:
* Can you still hear sound coming from the game?
* Is the sound playing in a loop or normal?
* Can you get back to your desktop with Ctrl+Alt+Del or Alt+TAB?
* Any messages on the screen when it goes off, such as 'Out of Range'?

Have you checked for loose power cable on the monitor side?

Cracklr

Commendable
Oct 7, 2016

No sound, tried the keyboard shortcuts but nothing, no loose power cable.

Cracklr

Commendable
Oct 7, 2016

Downloaded the bios and latest graphic drivers. The game was working for about half hour but then the monitor turned off as per usual. Definite improvement though. Not overclocking.

Cracklr

Commendable
Oct 7, 2016

Tried geforce experience but nothing changed. I can still hear the game with headphones on. I tried using msi afterburner to use gpu fan more. There was improvement but the monitors still turning off.

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Some ASUS have sleep features and one of them even has a "Human sensor" which uses an IR light to detect movement to switch it off and on. Check your monitor's manual to see if you have any of these and disable them.

Cracklr

Commendable
Oct 7, 2016

Pretty sure it doesnt have one.

Cracklr

Commendable
Oct 7, 2016

Actually the monitor loses signal. It doesnt turn off. Shouldve said that sorry

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
What method are you using to connect your VGA to the monitor? Try a different cable/port. It sounds like the output may be changing (for whatever reason). New VGA's come with tons of ports at the back. Even my card would display fine from DisplayPort 1 until it booted into Windows and then it would do the same as yours (blank screen but the keyboard responding). I switched to DisplayPort 3 on the VGA and is running fine since then. Go figure...
Also make sure you are using/setting the right resolution and refresh rates. Go to NVIDIA settings and select the maximum that your monitor can support. Try a safe resolution just to see if it works before going to max, eg. 1920x1080 @ 60Hz.

Cracklr

Commendable
Oct 7, 2016

Im actually using hdmi. My settings are fine as well. Tried a different cable, no change. There are no other hdmi ports on my monitor or pc.

Cracklr

Commendable
Oct 7, 2016

Isnt vga worse than hdmi? I kind of want the best out of my monitor to be honest and i dont have a dvi cable.

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
This is not permanent. You are having an issue, so you are doing diagnosis. You will need to replace the existing cabling with different one to help you diagnose the problem - otherwise you could be going in circles forever.

Cracklr

Commendable
Oct 7, 2016

The cable i thought was a vga was actually a dvi so i used it and no change, monitor is still losing signal.

Susan-Marie

Commendable
Jan 13, 2017
It sounds like your graphics setup is over heating. I have the same problem on my computer when I play Assassins Creed Blackflag. Check to make sure your system is not over heating, if that is the case you could try dusting it out or quite possibly you need a rig with better cooling. You said Mafia and Rust do it as well? check the system requirements (specifically graphics requirements and make sure you are running within safe parameters :) good luck, happy gaming :D :D

Solution