Searching for Windows 7 product key after upgrade to Windows 10

alsey88

Commendable
Dec 19, 2016
I am building a new gaming PC and want to use my HD with Windows 10 Pro installed to save me having to spend extra on a new OS. It was originally Windows 7 Pro then free upgraded to Windows 10 Pro. It is a non OEM version and I have heard that I could transfer the licence over to the new computer provided I had the original Windows 7 product key which I do not.

Is there a way for me to search the HD and find it in the registry somewhere and if so when installing Windows again once I activate the 7 licence would it still enable me the free upgrade of 10 I am currently on?

Thanks,

Solution
If you do these steps before moving the hdd over, win 10 is able to be moved to new PC without needing to find the win 7 pro key: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB & use it to install win 10 on the new PC if the win 10 install you currently have doesn't boot correctly.

You own 10 now, the win 7 pro licence was converted to win after 1 month of install. If you have to fresh install win 10, when you reach screen asking for a licence key, click "I don't have a key" , windows 10 will install, and once you link your email address with the licence attached to it, PC will reactivate - its...

Colif

Win 11 Master
If you do these steps before moving the hdd over, win 10 is able to be moved to new PC without needing to find the win 7 pro key: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB & use it to install win 10 on the new PC if the win 10 install you currently have doesn't boot correctly.

You own 10 now, the win 7 pro licence was converted to win after 1 month of install. If you have to fresh install win 10, when you reach screen asking for a licence key, click "I don't have a key" , windows 10 will install, and once you link your email address with the licence attached to it, PC will reactivate - its all spelled out in link above

Solution

alsey88

Commendable
Dec 19, 2016

Great, thanks very much for taking the time to reply. Big help.

Thank you