PC stuck on Windows Starting screen...

shadybk

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2015
I built my pc a year ago and have windows 7 64 bit installed, when I turned on my pc today it froze on the windows starting screen. I decided to force a shutdown and try to restart it normally again and give it another chance to see if it works before I try to go into safe mode or restore the pc from a restore point. When I restarted my pc normally again it worked and I am using it now.

My question is should I be worried about anything now that it was able to boot up. Should I restore my computer using a restore point and check to make sure all of my hardware is working fine, or should I just not worry about since it only happened once?

Chas_1

Commendable
Dec 5, 2016
welcome to the wonderful world of WTF... my pc dose this sometimes not often like 1 3-4 months. and no clue why it is just something i chalked up to "hay if i restart it works so MEH" if you do find out something odd and or it happens more often then like this one time. only then would i worry

jetfighter545

Reputable
May 20, 2015
If it isn't a recurring error you shouldn't be as concerned. If you are concerned and you can be bothered, go to Event Viewer and see if it is reported under the critical section of 'Summary of Admin Events'.

I suggest you do this too Chas1.

Chas_1

Commendable
Dec 5, 2016

a little ashamed i have not done it already lol. i am WAY to lazy with my home pc's

Sometimes it happens but it is generally a rare incident. Windows OS can also auto-repair itself from simple issues like these and a simple restart is all what it needs. In my experience you shouldn't worry about it. I have been using the same installation of windows 7 64-bit for 4 years and this thing had happened to me 3 or 4 times without any further consequences. That said, you should always keep a complete system image back-up of your entire OS drive. I always do a new back-up each month and I keep each one for 3-4 months, just in case something goes wrong. That way you should always be protected and avoid the big hassle of reinstalling windows.

As a last note check your OS drive for errors and don't forget that the windows 7 OS has also a repair option that may fix such boot issues.

shadybk

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2015

the only thing reported under the critical section of 'Summary of Admin Events' is 'kernal-power,' that's because I forced the shutdown by holding the power button when it got stuck on the windows starting screen. So I guess I'll start to take action if it happens again within the next couple of months.

jetfighter545

Reputable
May 20, 2015
Yes, I suppose so. Next time the starting screen takes a while, leave it alone for a few hours and see what happens. Windows is usually resilient with these errors.