Windows 10 upgrade key

Bellum2805

Reputable
Jan 9, 2015
Hello,

I have a question regarding Windows 10 and its upgrade from 7. I have a windows 10 upgrade key and I have 1 Windows 7 version with a key.

Now my plan is, since I have two PCs, to use Windows 7 on one and Windows 10 on the other.

Is that possible? And if so, how do I go about it? The Windows 7 is currently on a PC and its registered. Can I just install the Windows 7 (w/o using a key) on the other PC and then use the upgrade key from there? Or do I have to use the upgrade key on a registered machine? Do I even need to install Windows 7 on the new PC in order to upgrade? Is it possible to just use the Windows 10 Installer and use the upgrade key as a license key?

Or do I actually need two Windows 7 (8) keys for the upgrade to work?

Thanks in advance for your help

Solution
windows 7 has product key X
windows 10 has product key Y

Y enables windows 7 to upgrade to windows 10 . X is still the original product key .
I guess it can't be put in a simpler manner.

If you want to cross check , just run this command on your windows 10 machine and it will show up the win7 key.

' wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey '

zifn4b

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007

To be legal, you would need another Windows 7 full version.

So what you could say is although there was a free upgrade to windows 10.
Microsoft gave you nothing for free at all did they.

Because if you wish to now run windows 7 at the same time windows 10 upgrade was applied you still have to pay for a new Windows 7 valid key to use both os at the same time.

I have to love tricks like this.
Used just to boost the unit sales and percentages of a new OS.
It goes to show just how much people can be manipulated for company`s to reach there own goal.
Stocks and investment, and shares in the market.

To boot, your spied on, and control options are removed also.
Like forced windows updates. You free choices taken away.
masked by a cloud of smoke and mirrors.

Is it 1984 already ? lol.
Reality Bites !

No thanks windows 10,Windows 7 for me.
It works, does what it`s supposed to do, more stable.
No bells and whistles needed.
Or fudged Hype.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
that's just the silliest thing i have ever read about the free upgrade. when you upgrade something, you replace it with the newer version. an upgrade is defined as an improvement or increase in something. you can't improve something and expect it to stay the same.

so MS gave you the newer version for free but that inherently means the old one is now gone (as it has been replaced with the new one). if you got a call from ford tomorrow offering you a brand new car to "upgrade" to from your old one, would you expect to also keep your old one? heck no, you'd happily hand the keys over to them and drive off smiling in your new car. but MS offers the same thing and they are crooks for not letting you keep the old thing they just replaced for free?? get a clue

to answer the op's question, if the windows 7 key you have is the one you upgraded to get win 10, then it is now no longer usable. you traded it in for the win 10 key and that's what you get to use now. if you need a copy of windows for a second system, then you need to buy one. MS did not give you a free copy of windows, but rather a free replacement for your old OS with the shiny new OS. you gave up your old one when you accepted the new one.

Bellum2805

Reputable
Jan 9, 2015
Well thanks for the answers. So I can't just use a Windows 10 Upgrade key (cause I literally have one) as a windows 10 license key and use it during windows 10 Installation?

I have not used my Windows 7 key for a Windows 10 upgrade yet.

arunvasu

Commendable
Dec 20, 2016
windows 7 has product key X
windows 10 has product key Y

Y enables windows 7 to upgrade to windows 10 . X is still the original product key .
I guess it can't be put in a simpler manner.

If you want to cross check , just run this command on your windows 10 machine and it will show up the win7 key.

' wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey '

Solution

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I wouldn't phrase that as a trick. They gave you an upgrade key, which works much the same as Windows upgrade keys have worked for a very long time.

I love the 'getting spied on' rants. Oh no, targeted ads and data mining that browsers, google bot, facebook, OS (Yes, including Windows 7), employers, schools, public information, etc have been doing since it was possible. Better just deprive yourself of the benefits to spite that one company that makes all the money. Only way to avoid it is to not interact with anything, ever.

I agree they could have left a few options in their new interface. I do miss the old color palette system. Used to be able to set 3D Canvas to something other than white, that was nice. Probably a mod out there for it though. But you can take Windows 10 to the equivalent data gathering that Windows 7 does out of the box by following a few online guides.

Average power user can handle Windows 10 and its problems, and the average user uses it as a portal to the internet where they get mined by google and bing.

And it absolutely was to boost adoption percentages, but really that was to get their platform onto as many computers as possible to start the data mining. But you do have to give Microsoft some credit for starting to abandon its legacy products rather than let all of their security flaws stagnate and make no forward progress.

Not like the business world goes out of their way to buy Windows. Either they get them with the machines in the form of Pro through their suppliers, or they have an Enterprise agreement and pay regardless of what version they use during true-ups.

If you want to complain, make fun of Windows 8.0, Vista, and ME. Betas and failed OS to meet a specific purpose. Windows 10 didn't get off to a great start, but it is a lot better interface wise then it was.