A few questions about the windows 10 OEM keys

Bill383

Reputable
Aug 24, 2014
I already know that i cannot transfer my dell oem key to another computer since it is tied to the motherboard. That key is for the home verstion of windows 10, therefore it it did not activate, after that i bought an OEM key online for cheap hoping to resolve the issue. If i put that key on windows right now will i be able to remove it and use it with another pc in the future or is it one time use? Or is it one PC use(meaning can i only use it on this dell once i first activate).

Solution
you are supposed to be able to move your key to new parts with win 10. there has always been a lot of contradictory info on oem vs retail keys. but i can say that i have never had any issue moving oem keys to new systems with any version of windows.

all i can suggest is to tie the key to your MS account and see if it will activate on the new system when you run through the process. still too new to know for sure what happens, but i am willing to bet it will work with the oem key you already have.

you can't use it on 2 systems at once but you most likely can move it to the new build fine. but since you bought a new key already......

this new key may or may not stay tied to this new system. again, you are supposed to be able to move...

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
you are supposed to be able to move your key to new parts with win 10. there has always been a lot of contradictory info on oem vs retail keys. but i can say that i have never had any issue moving oem keys to new systems with any version of windows.

all i can suggest is to tie the key to your MS account and see if it will activate on the new system when you run through the process. still too new to know for sure what happens, but i am willing to bet it will work with the oem key you already have.

you can't use it on 2 systems at once but you most likely can move it to the new build fine. but since you bought a new key already......

this new key may or may not stay tied to this new system. again, you are supposed to be able to move it and i have done it on other versions of windows literally hundreds of times. i'd expect that so long as you tie it to your MS account as required, it will move fine down the line.

Solution

RealBeast

Titan
Bill, agreed it is confusing but here are the relevant terms from the Windows 10 OEM license:

Transfer. The provisions of this section do not apply if you acquired the software as a consumer in Germany or in any of the countries listed on this site (aka.ms/transfer), in which case any transfer of the software to a third party, and the right to use it, must comply with applicable law.

a. Software preinstalled on device. If you acquired the software preinstalled on a device (and also if you upgraded from software preinstalled on a device), you may transfer the license to use the software directly to another user, only with the licensed device. The transfer must include the software and, if provided with the device, an authentic Windows label including the product key. Before any permitted transfer, the other party must agree that this agreement applies to the transfer and use of the software.

b. Stand-alone software. If you acquired the software as stand-alone software (and also if you upgraded from software you acquired as stand-alone software), you may transfer the software to another device that belongs to you. You may also transfer the software to a device owned by someone else if (i) you are the first licensed user of the software and (ii) the new user agrees to the terms of this agreement. You may use the backup copy we allow you to make or the media that the software came on to transfer the software. Every time you transfer the software to a new device, you must remove the software from the prior device. You may not transfer the software to share licenses between devices.

See HERE for full OEM license terms.

In summary, it says that the OEM version that came installed on a device stays only with the original device.

Also take a look at THIS sticky thread on W10 keys.

Math Geek is correct. Just link the Windows 10 license to your Microsoft account and you should be able to transfer it to a different computer without any problems.

As a note, RealBeast has old info that really mattered up until Windows 10. Windows 10 is a whole new world, Baby.

BadAsAl

Distinguished
OEM licenses are for system builders who sell the computer. Here is the Windows 10 OEM license agreement: https://oem.microsoft.com/public/sblicense/sb_licenses_win/windows_10_windows_8.1_oem_system_builder_license_english.pdf
If you comply with all of the terms on this agreement then you can use an OEM license to install Windows 10. OEM keys will work on any computer but unless you are in compliance you are not properly licensed.

Microsoft has no way of knowing what your intentions are when activating a computer, it just checks if the key is valid. It is up to you to comply with their licensing terms.

RealBeast

Titan
That is the Windows 10 OEM license, word for word as posted by Microsoft. What they let you do beyond that is always subject to change.

Except that doesn't apply to Windows 10 so that is irrelevant to the OP's question. He is asking about Windows 10.

BadAsAl

Distinguished
If OP had updated his Dell to Windows 10 Anniversary Update first, then tied it to his Microsoft Account he could have transferred it to a new PC without buying anything. He wasted his money on an OEM key that wasn't going to license him properly anyway.

I agree. The OP should have done his research BEFORE buying the new OEM key, he could have saved his money.

Bill383

Reputable
Aug 24, 2014

I had Windows 10 Pro for 8 months now on this machine but only recently have i realised that the computer came with the home version of windows. I would either have to downgrade to home or buy a pro key as i did, as Math Geek said, i can transfer this pro key to another pc and if i install windows 10 home on this dell it will be activated automatically since the key is "baked" into the motherboard. Plus windows 10 pro is nice to have, i found myself using remote desktop quite often now that i actually got they key, i think it was worth the upgrade.

BadAsAl

Distinguished
What you did worked but you are not properly licensed for Windows 10 Pro. If you had used the free Windows 10 upgrade on the Dell you would have been upgraded to Windows 10 Home for free and you could then have tied that license to your Microsoft Account and moved it to new hardware as you see fit.

Windows 10 Pro is great, but it costs $99 to upgrade from Home or $200 for a full retail license.

I'm not telling you this for any other reason than to provide information for anyone who is wondering why OEM licenses are so cheap and contemplating buying one. There are hundreds of sellers on eBay and Amazon selling Windows 10 OEM licenses, but these are not supposed to be used on personal machines. They work and people do use them and will likely never have an issue. But if you are going to bother to pay for a Windows license at all, then you may as well get the correct license.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
OEM keys are designed for new builds. you can buy them and use them personally within the terms if it goes into a new build you are making. but it is not "supposed" to be used as upgrades and such. though there is nothing that stops you and it tends to work the same as a retail key with moving it and such.

plenty here will tell you, you can't move am oem key but i have done it many many times with no issue. does not matter if it was an OEM key that came with a pre-built or one that was bought separate.

i don't run into moving win 10 keys much since most of my clients bought it new or took the free upgrade. mostly on new pc's so they are not buying a new system yet for me to have to play with moving these keys. but the few i have done have been positive results so far. have done 4 systems that used the free upgrade and i was easily able to move it to a new build once it was tied to a MS account. can't say it will always be this way but so far so good :)

BadAsAl

Distinguished
I have gone back and forth on this before and don't care to again. I am going on a published OEM Licensing guide from Microsoft that I linked to earlier that clearly states the conditions of use of OEM licenses. If you have other information from Microsoft stating that these are intended for someone to use on machine that they build for their personal use, then please share it.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
like everything with licensing there is always a grey area and this in where sites like newegg and amazon can sell OEM keys. if you note on the product page for newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832416892&cm_re=windows_10-_-32-416-892-_-Product is states the same thing you said, which of course is a requirement from MS they have to include.

however, the OEM agreement applies not just to brands like dell or asus but also extends to "the assembler" as a qualified "system builder" https://oem.microsoft.com/public/worldwide/licensing/opccomm_retail_and_coem.pdf this is the grey area where you get to buy and use OEM windows for your new home pc (and the reason newegg can sell OEM keys to individuals). you are the assembler if you buy all the parts and build it yourself. does not matter that you are not selling it to someone else. but you are only supposed to be able to buy it with a full system worth of parts. but we know you can simply go on and buy a copy anytime you wish with or without any parts.

the difference overall between the 2 is that it is an OEM key is not supposed to transfer to another pc and also that it is not supported by MS. the person selling the complete system is supposed to give the OS support and not MS. but if you have ever called MS tech support, they will give help no matter what key you have. they don't even ask. so true the agreement does seem to make a big difference between the 2 types of keys but in practice they don't even bother paying attention to their own rules.

you are not wrong in what you are saying at all. i agree completely in your interpretation of the agreement as it is rather easy to read. but it is mainly there for the sake of liability and for lawyer uses. in practice, pretty much anyone can buy and use an OEM key and move it from pc to pc despite the document MS released.