Cannot decide between PG278QR, PG279Q and MG279Q

andy4649

Commendable
Dec 20, 2016
Hi, as the title says, i can't choose one between this three Asus ROG monitors. My pc has a Nvidia GTX 1080 gpu. I want to play all kind of games, from RPGs to competitive FPS. Essentially, the three are 2K, 144 Hz (or more in OC) and 27''. The difference is:
1)PG278QR: TN, 1 ms, G-sync, 3D, about € 700
2)PG279Q: IPS, 4 ms, G-sync, about € 840
3)MG279Q: IPS, 4 ms, about € 560
I wanna know if IPS monitors colous are just different, warmer, or they are really better, more realistic. Also, i wanna know if 1 ms vs 4 ms is a relevant problem with competitive gaming (i play battlefield 4 and unreal tournament). Last, i wanna know if this notorius 300 euros worth G-sync is really that worth, or if i would notice irrelevant difference at 144 hz.
Which one would you choose? If IPS panels provide really better image, then i go that direction; if G-sync is quite useless at high fps (provided by my gpu)/144 hz, then i'll choose the cheap one.
I apologise in advance for my bad english, i'm from continental Europe.

Solution
If you sat either of those IPS screens (because they're essentially the same) next to the tn with a static image youd instantly notice the difference.
They'll just look plain better & brighter (images stand out more)

If you just had the tn on its own youd also be incredibly happy as long as you don't have that direct comparison.

With a 6700k & a 1080 you're going to be 100fps+ pretty constant on just about any title barring a few select ones

Above 80fps or so I just personally don't see gsync as making any difference at all (others would argue against me)
Its very likely dependant on the user himself , I don't for one minute think the IPS gysnc is worth €280 more though , not even close.
If you sat either of those IPS screens (because they're essentially the same) next to the tn with a static image youd instantly notice the difference.
They'll just look plain better & brighter (images stand out more)

If you just had the tn on its own youd also be incredibly happy as long as you don't have that direct comparison.

With a 6700k & a 1080 you're going to be 100fps+ pretty constant on just about any title barring a few select ones

Above 80fps or so I just personally don't see gsync as making any difference at all (others would argue against me)
Its very likely dependant on the user himself , I don't for one minute think the IPS gysnc is worth €280 more though , not even close.

Solution

EtnoNyt

Honorable
Jun 15, 2013
if you have only one monitor, you properly won't notice the color difference between IPS and TN(as long as not doing graphic work). However, if you currently have a monitor, I'd suggest you to match the panel type. 1ms and 4ms have no real difference.
G-sync or not, it depends on personal preference. It will provide a good effect, but is it worth the extra money? hard to say. If you have a chance, go to a store and try yourself is the best way to choose.

chenw

Honorable
If the OP is using only 1 single monitor, I'd suggest IPS, fewer headaches.

TN is only suggested if you either have a higher tolerance towards TN, play competitive games, or have another non-TN monitor to do other things that IPS would serve better.