Need advice on my first budget gaming pc build

happysad22

Commendable
Dec 21, 2016
Hello! This is my first pc gaming build with an $800 CAD budget and I would really appreciate an experts approval of this build. This is suppose to be more of an entry/mid level build.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/mM7Ld6

I already have a large case and SSD ready to be used and other old accessories I am going to use for now.

I am mostly going to be playing FPS games and sometimes rpg and I am planning on upgrading later down the road, or basically buy a whole new high end rig.

Ak74Egy

Reputable
Jun 4, 2016
this is a very nice mid-range build, however if you ditch the 6500 and go for the 6600K then you've already got your CPU for this build and for your high end build, since the 6600K is the top of the line at the moment when it comes to gaming, but for you to utilize the 6600K beast you'll need a Z motherboard, which are fortunately not that expensive compared to the motherboard you chose, for as low as 90$ ASRock lists a Z170X1 ATX mobo for that price, which is 10 bucks cheaper than your mobo of choice, so you'd be paying 40$ extra for the K i5 and saving 10$ for the mobo, all in all paying an extra 30 bucks that can go the distance.

Ak74Egy

Reputable
Jun 4, 2016
Just checked that AsRock Mobo and it's actually selling on NCIX which is great since you reside in Canada, and btw that 90$ price is actually a discounted 40$ off the original 130$, so you may wanna think fast about this one.

Jeff Kaos

Distinguished

This is pretty good advice. But if you're not planning on overclocking then you can save some money and get an i5 6600. If you get the 6600k you'll need a Z board and a 3rd party cooler. Luckily the popular Evo 212 cpu cooler is only $25. Like this person said you can get a Z motherboard for a lot less than the price you have. Then the only thing you'll need to upgrade in the future is adding some more RAM.