What do i need to upgrade for 4k gaming?

zeus9860

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2016
I have just bought a 4k tv with the idea of upgrading my computer in a month or two for 4k gaming, so my current setup is this:

-ASROCK Z77 extreme6;
-16GB ram dual channel 800MHz;
-asus gtx 670 2GB;
-i7 3770k.

I know i need HDMI 2.0 cables to run 4k. I also know my GPU can't handle the 4k gaming. My goal is to get high-ultra quality gaming in 4k with a single GPU if possible. Is there anything else i need to upgrade or get? I heard something about getting some sort of tool that increases the responsiveness so it doesn't become sluggish when using a mouse.

All the info is welcome, i'm new to this 4k stuff and i pretty much want to upgrade my tower to the current top specs for 4k gaming, most importantly the GPU part, not sure if the other components will slow down the experience.

Solution
If you want true 4k DX12 compatibility with high FPS then you'll have to wait for the next gen. Am not even sure if the 1080Ti is going to be good for that, as it'll have the same Pascal architecture. Will be the best solution on the market though obviously. If you really want to make sure, wait for the 11 series GPU's or AMD's next gen as it should all be addressed by then.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
High-Ultra sure, but don't expect 60FPS in a lot of the recent titles.

A high DPI mouse isn't a bad idea actually. Basically that means less movement of the mouse equating to more pixels traversed. Increasing the sensitivity of a low DPI mouse decreases accuracy.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
HDMI 2.0 does indeed support 4K at 60hz. So if the TV actually has that type of port, it should work.

More than a rumor, should see a paper launch at least and hitting the store shelves at some point. Though it sounds like they are going to give first dibs to 980Ti owners.

zeus9860

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2016
So basically i should wait for the next gpu release. Well, the time i bought 670, the 700 series were announced like a month later or less, which kinda made me pissed off at the time.

Is there any chances that some new series are going to get released later in 2017? I could go for a 1080ti if it comes out early next year, or grab a 1080 and upgrade again in a few years.

As for high DPI mouses, i think i'm fine with those right now, pretty sure the current 2 mouses i have can handle that issue.

If you want true 4k DX12 compatibility with high FPS then you'll have to wait for the next gen. Am not even sure if the 1080Ti is going to be good for that, as it'll have the same Pascal architecture. Will be the best solution on the market though obviously. If you really want to make sure, wait for the 11 series GPU's or AMD's next gen as it should all be addressed by then.

Solution