Windows 10 Pro Freezes on Boot

ZeroAce74

Commendable
Dec 21, 2016
I just built my first gaming rig. I wasn't aware of this two days ago, but apparently Windows 10 is a buggy mess.

My problem seems to be fairly common, in that I cannot get past the Windows 10 login screen due to lack of response from keyboard and mouse. Another similar thread indicated that disabling Wi-Fi and restarting your tower solved the issue. I tried that solution and it did not do anything until the second reboot, whereupon I lost input from mouse and keyboard promptly upon seeing my desktop. I am confused and slightly upset that my first rig should be this problematic; is there something I am missing?

Specs/Hardware:

MSI Arsenal Gaming Intel Z170A LGA 1151 DDR4 USB 3.1 ATX Motherboard (Z170A Tomahawk AC)

MSI GeForce GTX 1070 GAMING Z 8G

Intel Core i7 6700K 4.00 GHz

HyperX FURY Black 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 2133MHz DDR4

WD Black 1TB Performance Desktop Hard Disk Drive

Samsung 750 EVO - 120GB - 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD

EVGA SuperNOVA 750 B1, 80+ BRONZE 750W, Semi Modular PSU

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler

I don't know if it matters, but my mouse is the a 2014 Razer Naga, and the keyboard is the Razer Overwatch Edition Blackwidow Chroma, and the monitor is an Asus MX25A 25" IPS display. Another side note: the motherboard is WiFi capable and was installed as such.

UPDATE:
Windows finally let me through after about 10+ hard restarts, however, it's not recognizing the 1 TB HDD that I have, and instead is only using the SSD as storage. I've checked connections, and it has power and a proper SATA connection, but 111 GB isn't much, especially when the games and other programs I built this rig for are definitely in excess of that. Any ideas?

UPDATE #2:
Sorry I keep re-opening this thread, but TH seems to be the only place I can find intelligent help.

After the last update, I reinsert ed my graphics card (which somehow solved the freezing issue?), formatted the disk, and after a bit of trial and error, uninstalled updates that I believed were causing the freezing issue. I had no problems for a week or so, during which Windows installed several updates, none of which gave me any noticeable issues. I was able to use the computer normally, although I admit I was apprehensive each time I powered off and on.

Finally, I needed to leave town for a weekend for work, so I powered down after installing an update. I got back, and now the problem I had before, no keyboard and mouse input and freezing.

I've tried to repair Windows, but I lose mouse/keyboard and the computer freezes at anywhere from the motherboard splash screen, to the Windows login, and even the boot menu and BIOS. It's frustrating, to the point I wish I hadn't ever built it.

Hello ZeroAce74

There are a couple of solutions you can try:

1) Try Restoring Windows to an Earlier State, i.e. when you believe the PC did not have this error.

2) Try Booting Windows in Safe Mode and see if that allows you to get to the desktop flawlessly.

3:) Run a free PC optimization tool such as Ashampoo WinOptimizer or Ccleaner, just in case Windows is over-populated with some junk files and orphan registry entries.

4) Run the SFC /SCANNOW Command to see if it can detect and fix the issues with the system files automatically.

If none of the above helps, please report back for further assistance.

Good Luck!!