Main router through VPN, secondary router without VPN

Net-Builder

Commendable
Dec 21, 2016
Hi,

I have an Asus RT-AC66U which is currently set up to use a VPN, everything on the network is connected to this.

I'm looking to add a second router (Asus RT-AC51U) to the configuration with direct access to the internet (i.e No VPN)

Naturally, I could just connect the RT-AC51U [51] to the modem, then connect the RT-AC66U [66] to the 51 as an Access Point with VPN configured.

However, I am hoping to keep the 66 as the main router and retain it's VPN configuration and then setup the 51 as a secondary router with no VPN so simply connecting the 51 to the 66 as an Access Point won't work as all it's traffic will also go through the VPN.

So my question is how could I accomplish this?
Main Router (AC66U) through VPN; Secondary router (AC51U), no VPN, direct access to internet.

Thanks.

There should be a option to allow the ip of the secondary router to bypass. I forget since asus has added lots of support for VPN and I have not looked at the default software. The asuswrt-merlin and dd-wrt both have a option on the vpn screen call redirect traffic or something that lets you add ip to bypass. Of course you can add router commands to the iptables to do source routing which is what the menus are doing behind the scenes