Gaming monitor on GTX 1070, second "working" monitor on motherboard. Faster that way?

florian360

Commendable
Dec 22, 2016
Hey guys :)

I have a two monitor setup. One monitor is for gaming, the other i use when I'm working.

Now a friend told me you loose FPS in boarderless gaming because the GPU also renders the desktop which is behind the boarderless window. And on fullscreen the GPU only render the game. Is this true? If so wouldn't it be better to run my second monitor on a secondary gpu? Because if both monitors are plucked in the gtx 1070, the GPU always renders the game + the dectop of the second monitor with somethimes monitor software on it and so on.

Would it be better for gaming to use a second GPU for my second monitor? I have two old GTX 660 TI. So I could use an old GTX 660 Ti for this task. But i could also use the motherboard graphics for the second monitor.

Greetings

it hugely depends on what you're doing on your second.

if you're watching a movie on the second you'll most likely lose some performance.

if you got Spotify + your browser with Tom's Hardware open on the secondary this puts so little load on the GPU that you won't lose any performance ingame.

florian360

Commendable
Dec 22, 2016
Thank for the answer :) I use the second monitor while gaming only for browsing and sometimes some monitoring software to check my gpu temps and so on.

But why do I lose sometimes almost 15-20% fps while gaming in boarderless mode? Isn't it because the gpu also renders the desktop behint the game? Or is this not true?

Greetings

No its not true entirely, will depend on the actual game title itself.
Running windowed can actually use more ram, CPU & GPU power but its not something you word normally notice as a massive performance deficit.
If you have 2 monitors I don't understand why youd run any game in a full screen window anyway??

But yes generally a lot if people with 2 screens , 1 for gaming, 1 for desktop exclusively use the igp for the second screen.