Windows 10 Upgrade from Windows 7 64 bit

JCarax

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2016
I've neglected upgrading to windows 10 for too long but lately I've been hearing a lot that windows 10 has better gaming performance than windows 7.
Namely Battlefield 1. A lot of people said they got better FPS after installing windows 10.
That got me thinking about upgrading to 10.

What I'm wondering is, do I have to make a clean install of everything(including steam,origin,drivers,etc.) to run them properly after upgrading ?
The thing is, my external hardrive is broken(2TB gone) so I don't have anything to use for a back up and I'm left with 240 gb SSD.
What do you guys suggest I do ?

Also windows 10 pro is pretty expensive in my country, will I get into trouble If I go for that free assistive device user upgrade ?

Thanks in advance.

I dont think you can get Windows 10 Pro via that method, only the regular Home edition. Windows 10 is pretty expensive in every country. I wouldnt recommend doing it that way, but it is possible.........

And no you wont have to reinstall everything although it is probably a better idea.. http://www.intowindows.com/you-can-upgrade-to-windows-10-preview-without-losing-installed-programs/

JCarax

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2016
Yeah I checked that Assistive device link, there seems to be no legal repercussions or regulations, it is just an honor system. But it is not much different than pirating if you aren't disabled. I rather not do it.

One more thing, should I uninstall graphics drivers and such before upgrading so I can make a clean install later on, or can I just leave them and deal with them later after I upgrade ?

Assistive technology upgrade path works.
There is no problem upgrading to windows 10 pro from windows 7 professional or ultimate editions.

And terms of using that free upgrade are pretty vague. Basically you just need activated qualifying windows version and intent to use assistive technologies. Cortana is kinda assistive technology. So - are you going to use it? If yes, then you're allowed to upgrade.

Yeah if you have a pro version already then you get the equivalent.

I personally would feel guilty and unethical if I upgraded that way. I dont care about ripping Microsoft off, but there does seem something pretty immoral about it all the same lol.