Installing windows 10 updated from 7 on new ssd

kleinpie97

Commendable
Feb 16, 2016
I'm am going to get an sad in a few days. I want to do a clean install of windows, but my copy of windows 10 was upgraded from windows 7. How would I go about putting windows 10 on the ssd.

Also, could I remove windows 10 from the original hdd while leaving the program files on it?

Colif

Win 11 Master
download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB << theres your installer

take current hdd out when installing onto ssd or win 10 may decide to use the hdd for your boot partition and that is a pain if you later remove the old hdd

If you install win 10 on the ssd you will need to reinstall all the programs for it to see them anyway. You can move steam library folders and origin library folders across but the rest need to be reinstalled

xFeaRDom

Estimable
There's multiple ways of going at this:

http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

This seems like a reasonable source that may come of use, if you have your previous Windows key, then apparently (according to that source) it should activate your Windows 10, whether or not this is true I am not sure, but it seems reasonable for the upgrade.

You can also clone your HDD (The partition for the OS) and clone it onto the SSD, for this, you will most likely need a repair disc to go along with it.

For your final question - You can remove Windows 10, as it will/should detect the OS on there, and it should remove the major programs on there - Just clean up your HDD with the built in feature and it should remove the OS files.

PS - You may want to do a full backup before you go ahead with this.