Strange PC behavior on boot since new monitor

nullscarab

Honorable
Nov 13, 2014
Ever since I got a 21:9 monitor in June, my PC started to occasionally freeze at the motherboard startup screen, with me unable to do anything but a hard shutdown. Attempting to access any options, such as the UEFI or boot menu does nothing. Note that during this time, all of my fans come on and I can hear my drives running as well. Also, I hooked up a spare monitor I had to even see the startup screens, since the screens would often not even come up on my 21:9 monitor alone which made it all the more confusing when I couldn't see anything yet my PC was running.

I'm not sure what causes this since it seemingly happens at random, there's nothing I can think of that I do beforehand that then causes this to happen on the next boot. Sometimes after doing a hard shutdown, I get the "windows did not shut down correctly" screen with the option to boot into safe mode, but not always. Today, I experienced this issue again, and the option to boot into safe mode didn't come up and it went right into the login menu. For the first few minutes of using my PC, any typing I did with the keyboard was delayed by a few seconds, although during this time it did not seem to freeze the rest of the system. This was the first time that had happened.

6Jb20cr.png

Here are my specifications. The parts were all obtained back in April except for my hard drive and disk drive which are five years old, and my solid state drive which is almost three years old. My GPU has 6GB of video memory but for some reason Speccy shows it only has 2GB. Also, a 2TB hard drive I installed about two months ago is showing up as 0B there, although in my experience the drive is fully functional so I assume this is another Speccy error. I should also mention a few pins on my motherboard were bent then re-shaped back into place when this build was initially constructed, but I'm not sure if that would be a factor since it didn't seem to affect anything before I got my new monitor.

I'm wondering what is causing these errors and if I should be worried.

Thanks

Solution

If you arent running on the latest bios for your motherboard that could also be a reason, but id personally update the graphics driver and see if it fixes the problem.

Lag_behind

Reputable
Feb 29, 2016

If you arent running on the latest bios for your motherboard that could also be a reason, but id personally update the graphics driver and see if it fixes the problem.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS