Attempting to boot off of usb drive, computer refuses to boot

Saxxymane

Commendable
Dec 23, 2016
So I am trying to install linux on a Toshiba Satellite L875D-s7232 that used to run Windows 7. I have looked for secure boot and it's nowhere. Nothing seems to be blocking me but when I do I just get an error saying "media test failure" yet this Bootable drive works on my other computer just fine.

Help.

Solution

So on a wing and a prayer I decided to go into the bios and change the sata connection to legacy enabled in the advanced setting of the bios. The entire time I was looking for uefi and couldn't find that so once I decided to mess with that one setting I got it to recognize the boot drive FINALLY

Saxxymane

Commendable
Dec 23, 2016

Yes the laptop is mine. Someone who wasn't using it anymore gave it to me, but they aren't tech savvy enough to put barriers on the machine

Saxxymane

Commendable
Dec 23, 2016

It does but when I set the priority to use the usb first it skippedal that and went straight to booting up windows.

See if there's a legacy USB option select it save settings first. It may say press a key After it reboots. If it does press a key or windows will load

Saxxymane

Commendable
Dec 23, 2016

Legacy emulation is set to enabled but it never prompts me to press a key. As well when I press a key anyway it boots straight to Windows

Saxxymane

Commendable
Dec 23, 2016

So I did a dumb thing and decided to plug in the windows backup flash drive I made to see if it appears differently on the boot menu. Sure enough, it came up different. I can only conclude this linux distro might not support the hardware in this computer, seeing as it is relatively new from what I understand (being in like 0.2 or 0.4) and so my next venture is using a different distro for my Linux desires.

As far as options, there was no secure boot, no difference between cas and uefi, it's bare bones and barely anything loaded on.

Saxxymane

Commendable
Dec 23, 2016

So on a wing and a prayer I decided to go into the bios and change the sata connection to legacy enabled in the advanced setting of the bios. The entire time I was looking for uefi and couldn't find that so once I decided to mess with that one setting I got it to recognize the boot drive FINALLY

Solution