Windows Defender and Update unable to update win 8.1

Greenmeats

Commendable
Dec 23, 2016
Hello all!

I recently was given a slightly older Dell PC. Upon receiving, I did an update check before anything else. Windows Update said that the last time it had been checked for updates was "never," although there were a few updates listed in the history. So I attempted to update, and the system hangs on "checking for updates." I can cancel it; it doesn't freeze the cpu, but never finds updates. So, I put that on hold and attempted to update Defender. Same exact problem.

Well, since I needed to purge old files anyways, I went ahead and did a factory reset, in hopes that that would also fix my update problems. So clean boot, everything was fine, but still, can't update either of the two programs. Only difference is, almost immediately after the reset, 1 update was installed successfully (KB3020370, which apparently updates the Cmitrust.dll file). So again, tried for updates on both. Nothing; still hangs. So went ahead with an sfc scan, and no errors. Also went to error checking under the C drive properties, and cpu says no errors. I thought, 'maybe I'm not giving it enough time to check,' so I ran another check for windows updates before I went to bed last night, and almost 9 hrs later, still hanging.

Any help would be greatly appreciated at this point!