Anyone regret getting a 4k monitor?

IntelVEVO

Commendable
Oct 30, 2016
Recently built my first ever gaming pc with a gtx 1080 and decided to get a 4k lg27ud68p monitor.

Dispite some issues on some programs, scaling in windows works beautifully and the desktop looks stunningly crisp while giving me the same real estate as 1440p

While my gaming performance is great for less demending titles, when I play a demanding game like GTA 5 which looks gorgeous in 4k I have to lower some of the settings to get a completely smooth gaming experience (even after overclocking to 2.1ghz). When I lower the resolution to 1440p to so I can max out all the settings the game loses sharpness and looks quite off due to scaling and interpolation.

The display looks fantastic and detailed but I can't help thinking whether I would have been better off sticking with a 1440p monitor. Thoughts?

Solution
you have now made your one thousand dollar GPU the bottleneck!
It could be a bad purchase if you dont run 4k resolution on games. but as u stated you were able to downscale to 1440p and you are prepared to go full on 4k when you upgrade your gpu....sli... gtx 1080 =o
now u cant help feeling the guilt when you're gaming. =)
maybe go get some UHD movies... or upscale it....yeah i donno much about that stuff. im still stuck in 1080p =o

just to add.. it also depends on which games u play more.
if you're into games with high graphics then maybe either return the 4k and grab a 1440 or plan to upgrade to run on the 4k at 4k/60fps

TheChuckAtm

Commendable
Dec 23, 2016
Never regret decisions like that. What's done is done. If you have money for 1080, so you can buy another one or upgrade to 1080ti in some time :) By the way there's no that much difference if you lower some of settings.

L0stChild

Reputable
Mar 8, 2016
you have now made your one thousand dollar GPU the bottleneck!
It could be a bad purchase if you dont run 4k resolution on games. but as u stated you were able to downscale to 1440p and you are prepared to go full on 4k when you upgrade your gpu....sli... gtx 1080 =o
now u cant help feeling the guilt when you're gaming. =)
maybe go get some UHD movies... or upscale it....yeah i donno much about that stuff. im still stuck in 1080p =o

just to add.. it also depends on which games u play more.
if you're into games with high graphics then maybe either return the 4k and grab a 1440 or plan to upgrade to run on the 4k at 4k/60fps

Solution

Dr Girlfriend

Reputable
Sep 12, 2015
The real question is, do you? Personally I think 4k is a better choice for a few years from now. But if you have the $$$$ to make it happen, then you're free to do whatever. As is usual.

If you don't, and it bothers you to lower some settings for smooth gameplay, then you'd probably be better off with 2k. Or even blowing $$$ for 2k + 144hz + gsync monitor. Something a 1080 could kick ass with and give a much better exp than a vanilla 4k monitor.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts