Why can ips monitors run at 144hz now? (What changed)

Bryce Demar

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2013
I remember when about a year ago everyone was still singing the same song.. "Pick TN if you want high refresh-rate, low price, and fast response time or pick IPS if you want colors, contrast, and viewing angles" Then all of a sudden these 144hz+ IPS monitors just showed up. What technological feature or advancement do these panels have that allows them to accomplish this?

Extra Question:
Anyone have new information on Simultaneous Multi-Projection?

Bryce Demar

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2013

Thanks for that info, ive never heard of that panel type. I plan to do some research but do you know anything about how it compares to real ips panels, tn panels, and weather it has any major drawbacks?

Ips for lg and hitachi, pls for samsung and ahva for au optronics but they are still all similar in how they work and perform compared to how tn, va, etc panels work. Most just call it all ips and don't differentiate between e-ips, s-ips, ah-ips, and other types as well. There's not really any point from the small differences and you might need to do some patent digging to find out exactly what they did sometimes. I don't see why you would need to get that technical but we all have our hobbies. Not all 144hz ips are ahva; lg has an ah-ips that does 144hz, and that panel type has been around awhile and has much slower 10ms+ models that you would never want to game on because they're so slow. It's not just different panels that come out of R&D but improvements and changes to existing ones. Why not ask, what changed with tn to have 144hz that we didn't see before? No one even differentiates between changes in tn.

Tech doesn't stand still, it's constantly improving to make their products better as well as cutting costs; it is business after all. With the number of changes and panel types, exact monitor models have to be compared and this held true even a decade ago. I've seen much older tn panels (4:3 ratio it's so old) with better color accuracy than many current ips panels so newer does not mean better either. Generalizations like ips is better color accuracy still hold true for the most part but there are always exceptions and don't forget the wide range of changes either. Cheap ips is comparable to higher end tn color but ips in the high end is going to have 12+ bit color that you don't see on tn. Va and oled are going to have better contrast just because of how the panel works.

kaiteck

Honorable
Nov 12, 2013

In short, IPS technology is just like a graphics card. It's possible to push them further and further. This applies to other panel types as well. The latest VA panels are now capable of having 178degree viewing angle, 85% ntsc and better black levels etc.

TRENDING THREADS