Newegg sent me something and wants it back

UnspokenWhale

Reputable
Aug 18, 2014
I received a graphics card in the mail from Newegg. Duplicate of the one that I ordered. I have talked to them already and they insisted on getting it back.

The customer service department is truly awful. First they wanted me to print out a shipping label and go drive to wherever FedEx is (never shipped anything with them before) and deliver it. In the middle of winter. At Christmas time. I asked them to pick it up, and they said yeah, just call UPS and schedule a pickup, they'll refund me with a Newegg gift card. It was only after requesting to talk to someone else did they even offer to pick it up for free.

So turns out I'm unsure about the pickup date. I contact them, asking if I could cancel the return. Nope. They want it back. Asked me if I could ask a neighbor to do it, a friend, anybody. Told them no. They ended up keeping the pickup date. If I can't make it, they want me to contact them again and tell them so they can reschedule.

I feel like I'm being forced to make time to fix their mistake. I am certainly not contacting them again. If it fails, too bad, I'm not requesting another pickup from them. I may have not offered a real return solution to them, but they shouldn't have sent me something they can't afford to lose. I'm not sure where I stand legally, but at this point I'm not wasting any more of my time with this nonsense.

If you ever receive anything from them by accident, don't tell them. Their customer service is despicable and they will do anything to get it back.

UnspokenWhale

Reputable
Aug 18, 2014
I've heard that but I've also heard that that applies to items you did not want. This was a mistakenly sent item that was a duplicate of one I did want. Are you sure the card still falls under this rule?

Co BIY

Splendid
I do think the value of the item in play matters.

How much effort you should be asked to give should be relative to the value of the card. And they should have been asking nicely, setting everything up, and paying for it.

Titan X Card - obviously they can't take regular losses at that level. Sub $100 card then the damage they are doing to their reputation by asking you to help them is not worth it.

I object way more to the reported rudeness and incompetence but do think it's Ok for them to ask for your help to fix a mistake on their part but they need to make that as easy as possible.

UnspokenWhale

Reputable
Aug 18, 2014

The card in question is around $400.

Yes it's a lot, but considering the size of Newegg you'd think they would stop when they realize that the person they're dealing with doesn't have the time to fix their mistake. The fact that they're basically trying to force me to return it is very concerning. Why did they send me something that they can't take a loss on?

I don't know about the US but here in the UK I would be within in my rights I believe, to tell them to arrange pick up at my convenience. Have you tried that?

UnspokenWhale

Reputable
Aug 18, 2014
No, they agreed to send someone to pick it up as I mentioned in the original post, but it requires that I am present. This is not something I can guarantee.

This isn't jury duty. Why they're giving me return deadlines and telling me that I must return the product by then is beyond me.

No, they send someone at a time that is convenient to you not them and if they can't do that then tell them to take you to court if they want their item back.

UnspokenWhale

Reputable
Aug 18, 2014
Called the FTC and asked if it counts as unsolicited mail and unless I heard wrong, the women I talked to said yes, so it falls under the rule of not having to return it.

This situation just became a bit more interesting.

Told you so! :lol:

Let THEM jump through the hoops if they want their item back.

UnspokenWhale

Reputable
Aug 18, 2014
I opened a live chat and asked for the RMA to be cancelled and the rep actually did it. She didn't say anything about having to return it, just immediately cancelled it. I asked about the pickup and she said any shipping label will be void and I shouldn't worry about it.

:lol: