Cannot extend display to second monitor

Thormind

Reputable
Apr 19, 2015
Hello there,

First of all I'd like to say that I have already done some research on my problem. However everything I have found has something different that makes it so it does not correspond to my problem.

My problem is that I recently added a BenQ GL2460 monitor as a second monitor to my laptop. It's a msi gp60 2pe leopard.

The monitor works fine. Right now as I am writing this it's powered on right next to me and the display is just fine. But it's a duplication of my laptop's primary screen. What I want is an extended display.

I already updated my drivers.

I tried using the config panel of windows (windows 10) and change the display to "extended display" but it doesn't work. I clicked on "detect" and it says it doesn't detect any monitor.

I checked in the config panel of both nvidia and intel hd graphics. Both of them detect the second monitor. I also checked in the device manager. Both monitors are displayed there. So Windows does see there are two monitors. But then why does it says it doesn't detect the second monitor? And why can't I extend my display?

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Check your bios. Many bios have switches for multiple displays. If it's not enabled, the bios won't recognize the display before windows starts, meaning according to the pc, it doesn't exist, but according to Windows it does. If the monitor came with driver files/software I'd load those also since many times on a basic level, the monitor will only be recognized as a generic monitor, so won't pick up on advanced options.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Check your bios. Many bios have switches for multiple displays. If it's not enabled, the bios won't recognize the display before windows starts, meaning according to the pc, it doesn't exist, but according to Windows it does. If the monitor came with driver files/software I'd load those also since many times on a basic level, the monitor will only be recognized as a generic monitor, so won't pick up on advanced options.

Solution