Got a new SSD, looking how to install Windows 10 on it

John_578

Commendable
Dec 25, 2016
Hey all. 2 years ago I built my PC and I installed Windows 8.1 from my friend's USB onto my hard drive. I think I got a key online as well to activate it, now I got Windows 10 Pro fully activated and working great but I recently got an SSD and I would like to know the best way to get Windows 10 on there from my situation.

Do I clone, or do I find the product key somewhere in the registry and reuse that if I can after doing a clean install of Windows 10 to the SSD? Help is appreciated!

Solution

USAFRet

Titan

Clone or clean install, either would work.
(depending on a few factors)

If just going to a new drive, you will not need the license key.

John_578

Commendable
Dec 25, 2016

I'd really like a clean install, just to have as much space on the SSD for GTA V and such, it's only 250 GBs. Do I download Windows from Microsoft then? Or how do I got about getting it. I'm looking to format my HDD after the install.

USAFRet

Titan

The Media Creation tool, direct from Microsoft.
Create your own Win 10 USB or DVD.

When it asks for the license key, select "I don't have one"

Solution

John_578

Commendable
Dec 25, 2016

I was looking at that a few minutes ago, will Windows still be activated after the clean install? Thanks for you help so far :D

John_578

Commendable
Dec 25, 2016

Thank you for the help!

USAFRet

Titan

Absolutely yes.
I did this just last night.

Install, and skip the Enter the license key part.

Your system details and activation status is already stored at the mothership.
When this system next goes online after the install on the new drive, it will talk to the activation server farm, and activate itself.

John_578

Commendable
Dec 25, 2016

Thank you very much! Installing Windows very shortly, I'll mark the solution as well. Happy Holidays!