I was looking for some insight on purchasing a new monitor for my gaming setup.

Sven6895

Reputable
Apr 20, 2014
Hello, I would just like to say that I was very happy with my last experience using toms hardware to look for and purchase components to build my first gaming computer with, and that I appreciate anyone that takes their time to help me on this site!

Now, as Christmas has come around I decided to purchase a new
MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070, and I am also planning to compliment the 1070 with a new monitor.

My current monitor is a Asus VX238H 23.0" 1920x1080 Monitor with a 60hz refresh rate, and after reading all the positive reviews about people using 144hz refresh rates, I had my heart set on getting one for myself.

I'm planning on still maintaining the 1080p resolution, because anything I found that was both 144hz refresh rate and 1440p resolution was always north of ~$700 and way out of my budget.

The main monitor I am looking to purchase is the ASUS VG248QE 24" Full HD 1920x1080 144Hz, because it has really good reviews and sits at a price of $269.99 which I can afford to pay. However, I've noticed that this particular monitor has remained the same price for almost 2-3 years after watching review videos on youtube from October 2013 saying that the price they bought it for was ~$250.

Would it be a good idea to purchase this monitor at its current price, and is this monitor good enough that it has retained its value over the years, or is it not worth it to pay the same price as it was some years ago?

Also if there are any other alternative monitors that would be a good compliment to the gtx 1070 some insight would be greatly appreciated.

I will also include my current PC build if that helps: My PC Build
P.S. My budget has a maximum of about $300.
Thanks in advance

Ramlethal

Estimable
BENQ monitor is actually the very very finest product you can get.
https://www.amazon.com/BenQ-24-Inch-Gaming-Monitor-Discontinued/dp/B007HSKSMI/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1482758561&sr=1-4&keywords=BENQ+144HZ

I Own one, the BENQ XL2430T and it is probably one of my best purchased things EVER. Gaming in a 144 hz monitor is TRULY LIFE CHANGING.
A gtx 1070 its almost fine for 1080p Gaming at 144 Fps, But dont expect to get descent results on AAA games...
Im currently running a GTX 1080 SLI and im barely getting 200 FPS at 4k (1080p w/ 200% render scale) on AAA games...

Sven6895

Reputable
Apr 20, 2014

I don't mean to sound rude, but I don't think this helps me very much. The monitor that you referred me to is still at 60hz refresh rate and is recommended and sold labeled as a "console gaming" monitor. However I checkout out your monitor and I'll look into some other BENQ products to see if I can get a good deal on any of their other offers.

Ramlethal

Estimable

Sorry i linked the wrong one...