Can you tell me why my new HDD is making abrupt sounds?

Rohitsapra

Commendable
Nov 26, 2016
Hi,

I have just purchased NEW WD Black 4TB 3.5inch HDD but as it appears the HDD is making sound when the system starts for about 5-10 mins. It's an abrupt sound (not really sure if its clicking) but I am worried as it is a new product and I am very data sensitive. I have recorded the sound (please listen to it, follow the link below). The HDD works perfectly fine as of now, the sound starts from 00:08 (hear closely & ignore beep at 00:18, it is a system sound. Normal).

Sound Link: http://vocaroo.com/i/s0eGLWEhLetU

Thank you in advance.

Rohit

Hey there & Merry Christmas, @Rohitsapra!

I'm sorry to hear that your new WD Black is making these noises. :( You should definitely back up all the sensitive data that you keep on it. Always remember to keep duplicates of your files stored in different storage locations (drives). Never keep just one copy of your data. Once you have your files backed up to another location, I'd strongly recommend you check if the HDD has been mounted properly inside your PC rig. A loose screw can easily cause extra vibrations that usually sound concerning as well. If that is not the problem, however, I'd strongly advise you to check if the HDD will make the same sounds if connected to a different PC. (if you have access to one)

I'd also suggest you track if the noises are present all the time or only during writing/reading from the HDD. Either way, I'd still consider getting in touch with the reseller's or our WD Customer Support. Since it's a new HDD, you shouldn't face any issues with the RMA procedure.

Hope this helps you. Keep me posted with the troubleshooting!
SuperSoph_WD