Instant bsod after leaving bios/boot menu even occurs when installing new copy of win10

GabenM

Commendable
Dec 27, 2016
Hey all
My pc recently started to blue screen for a week then stopped. A week later my pc froze and blue screened all of a sudden and now whenever i turn my pc on, it just blue screens instantly after leaving bios/boot menu. The intial bsod's pointed towards driver errors. So far I've tried taking out my gpu, tried new ram, Updated my bios to the most recent version, tested my ssd which had my os on it and even tried doing a fresh install of win10 but everything still ended in my pc blue screening. With the win10 install it would show the windows logo for about 20 seconds or so then crash. I tried testing my copy of win10 on another pc and it worked fine.

So I'm not sure if it could possibly be a driver error otherwise it could be my cpu,psu or motherboard but my pc is only less then 3 years old :/

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Colif

Win 11 Master
what are the specs of the PC? Happen to remmeber what the code says on the BSOD or if it shows a file name?

Run the free version of http://www.memtest86.com/ on your ram (even though its new, just to discount the potential of it being the ram slots on motherboard instead). You want 0 errors, 1 stick at a time. << I only suggest ram as it can cause freezes

GabenM

Commendable
Dec 27, 2016

Infact I do, I've got a whole collection of different bsod messages

it started with "IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL"

recently it was a mix of the two below and a few other messages then i forgot to record

• SYSTEM PTE MISUSE
    UNEXPECTED KERNAL MODE TRAP

I've ran the test and got 0 errors

I hope that helps :)

Colif

Win 11 Master
remove any overclocks you may have

irq errors are drivers
System pte misuasage is a driver error as well. (MS Link)

UNEXPECTED KERNAL MODE TRAP is also a driver error.

try downloading this on another PC, and put it on a usb: http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed
then boot from the win 10 installer and we see if we can get to safe mode
boot from installer, on 2nd screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up options
hit the restart button
choose safe mode with networking by using number associated with it.
PC will restart and load safe mode

this might not work as sometimes the Start up options choice isn't there, but worth a try
if you can get into safe mode, try to install that program off the USB and run it.
it will look at errors and give us a summary. If you look in the file menu you can exprt the summary so save it on the USB so you can attach it to your reply - upload it to a file sharing site and share a link here.

GabenM

Commendable
Dec 27, 2016

Ever since the ram test, my computer wont even load the bios anymore let alone win10's installer. When I power on my pc all fans start to spin and lights come on around the Ethernet socket. Nothing is displayed onto my monitors even though they are plugged in. It doesn't crash instead the pc just keeps running with nothing being displayed :/

I'm guessing the drivers or something else on the motherboard has stopped working or that the ram test caused an issue but I doubt that. Could it also be a cpu issue? I think i have to start thinking about buying a new mobo/cpu but i'm unsure if i need a new cpu..

specs at the moment are
  • asrock h97m-itx/ac
    intel i5 - 4460
    kingston ssd
    thermaltake 700w litepower
    hyperx 4gb x2 ram sticks
I've unplugged everything else such as extra hdd's and gpu

Colif

Win 11 Master
ram test? you mean memtest? Did you move any of the sticks around? have look and make sure ram in right now, but i would have thought PC beep at you if was ram

have you tried plugging screen into the onboard graphics? Try only using 1 screen until it works properly, I seen instances where the bios screen is showing on a screen that isn't connected.

I don't know if reseting CMOS would fix it

drivers wouldn't stop it showing the bios, there are none involved at that stage.

your motherboard/PC isn't that old (its same as mine)

I don't know hardware that well so I am not sure what is the potential blame. I will see if I can get a 2nd opinion :)

GabenM

Commendable
Dec 27, 2016
Yeah memtest, Ram was in for sure because the bios displayed my two ram sticks as plugged in. Yeah im using onboard graphics and everything. Im sure cause I took out my gpu awhile ago and it was still showing the bios. I doubt cmos would do anything

Yeah I can't see it being a driver error

I'm going to buy a new mobo and cpu tomorrow cause I've given up.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i would have taken PC to a repair store instead of buying a new motherboard/CPU. But then I can't afford that option so trying to fix what i have would be my approach. At least a repair place has spare parts it can swap in and work out cause.

TRENDING THREADS