Display driver *AND my entire PC* keeps crashing - what do I do?

Frelle

Reputable
Oct 11, 2015
I've actually just been doing a system restore, as I kept getting bsod's every 20 minutes, starting only today.

I usually had my display driver crash some minutes before the initial bsod, and this scared me a bit when I saw my monitor go dark, which fortunately got started back up again.
Please note that I usually crash my display driver when I play very heavy games like Battlefield 1, since I've only got a GTX 770. But right when this happened before I was running Steam, Google Chrome and Spotify as the only programs (excluding antivirus and background programs, which there are literally none of since I've done a system restore).

What do I do? I've made sure to get all of my latest drivers using a good old program I keep around combined with Geforce Experience.

Any help would be much appreciated :)

Updates further down.

Frelle

Reputable
Oct 11, 2015

Hey, sorry but how exactly do I do that? I don't see my memory dump in my C:\Windows folder, which is where it's supposed to be right?

Frelle

Reputable
Oct 11, 2015
UPDATE
My computer just did the same old trick again, but this time it completely crashed, although without a bsod. Then it turned on again and did the same after 6-7 minutes tops.

Currently trying to repair windows by using my Windows install disc.

Okay, update again as of 01:33
My computer crashed again while I was trying to navigate through the repair menu.

Once more I have to update:
My PC keeps freezing before I can even get to press on system repair. All the time.

I'm getting quite desperate now, this is highly unusual, it just freezes totally, and it just sits there until I force a restart through.

Frelle

Reputable
Oct 11, 2015
Startup repair found nothing, currently doing a memory diagnostic, but I don't know if my PC froze again or if it's just stuck now. This seems very hopeless to me.

I can literally not do anything on my PC now before it crashes. I think I even posted in the wrong category so people won't be seeing the thread ._.
My hope is absolutely gone by now.

bailojustin

Distinguished

hey man, sorry I just got home, You can navigate to your memory dumps in c/windows/minidump

copy the past 5 files, and upload them to something where i can grab them using a site such as Mega NZ a file upload and retrieval site so I can analyze your BSOD to find your issue.

Frelle

Reputable
Oct 11, 2015
Hey bailojustin, it's totally cool :)
I will just try and see if I can do this. It's a bit of a problem as I have to do it fast, as even running safe mode crashes my computer (not BSOD though, so can I find some separate crash logs elsewhere?)

Update:
I'm totally unable to even get to my login screen now. It freezes with a black screen before it can get to "starting windows" which doesn't even appear. All inputs freeze as well, keyboard is unable to switch between caps, num lock and scroll lock, which I tested with.

Update:
I made it to C\windows but nowhere is there the folder you specified. I haven't been getting any BSOD's lately either, just instant or delayed freezes and then a crash/reboot

Frelle

Reputable
Oct 11, 2015
Just a real quickie: https://mega.nz/#!m0BGGJpJ!bX2C_M2VIcr_MXjp0zj0xSo9aFnnAGDsAATOSvzAo60
*now includes the decryption key lol*
I finally managed to upload and give you the link through several trial and errors. This is from my C:\Windows\LiveKernelReports\WATCHDOG
which should also be memory dumps, right?

I'll probably soon go to bed (it's 04:00 in the morning, and I doubt why I'm even up at this point lol), so I'll first be able to respond when I wake up again. I really hope you can use those files and that they're not just in vain :)

Just before deciding to go to bed I did some more digging, and it appears that it (may?) be my graphics driver, which I now that I think of it, may not have been installed correctly. This just doesn't make any sense though, for I had the same problem even before I system restored, where it suddenly just started occuring with the random BSOD's. I'll see by tomorrow if I just fixed by reinstalling the driver, as I have to let my computer download multiple games / software I lost after the system restore.

Frelle

Reputable
Oct 11, 2015
I can also provide with my event viewer log, hopefully it translated to english (made it save it in english, but who knows, it could still be in my native language which is danish). Updating with a link when I get it uploaded.

Here: https://mega.nz/#!b1JhjZII!4vJcOcdM_i0BvJ-qnwF8_rkBMFbnMvEZNjDyIlw8Ao0

and OH GOD NO, I just spotted one of those scam links randomly placed in text on your browser. So my computer is apparently infected with malware. But surely that can't be closing my computer, have had this 2-3 times spread out among different computers, and it never did this, and I always managed to remove it quite quickly.

Frelle

Reputable
Oct 11, 2015
I clean installed an older graphics driver, as I had suspected that may be the cause. It did make me able to use the computer for good over one hour before it froze (note that it didn't crash, it only froze after I had gotten a newer driver).

So I'm still unable to use the computer for more than an hour, and unfortunately I do intend to do that. Until I get the problem resolved I'll need to stick with my very old and bad laptop I mainly only use for classes.