Help! Computer is very suddenly ridiculously slow

leica-guy

Commendable
Dec 27, 2016
Alright, I'm sure there's an easy solution, but I have no idea what it is or what the problem is. I'm out of fresh keywords to use on Google searches, so I'll just ask it here.

I put my Windows 10 computer to sleep so I could go get something to eat. It's got an AMD 8-core processor and is always pretty darn fast. Always. So I got back from lunch, turn the computer back on, and out of the blue it is unbearably slow. I don't mean it's just slow, I mean literally nothing works. I can't start programs, I can't even press the Start button. It's just unresponsive. After getting past the login screen it now takes 10-15 minutes to load the desktop (which only has, like, five icons).

I managed (after literally 20 minutes of trying) to open Task Manager, and it said that basically everything was just idling. CPU usage was less than 10% and so was RAM. I tried restarting the computer, turning it off and unplugging it, everything, and it was still slow. It hardly even boots now.

I then turned it on in safe mode and, sure enough, it works perfectly. I ran a few malware scans and stuff and it came up 100% clean.

I know from my searching that this question has been asked before, but I've tried all the answers I've found and they simply don't apply. I'm just not sure what the problem is since the transition between perfectly normal and unusable was virtually instant. The fans aren't too dusty, there's no malware or viruses - absolutely nothing changed while it was off. I was out eating lunch!

I use this computer to run my marketing company, and I have backups of everything so I'm not really concerned about data loss, but I am really concerned with getting my computer back into commission ASAP. Figuring it out and trying to diagnose it has cost me a lot of time and I'm still coming up with nothing, so I'd really really appreciate any of the very kind and professional help the people on this website have to offer. I'm happy to answer any questions about the computer if it would help. Thank you all very much!

Solution
No problem! If you have the windows disk and key then i would try to clean install on your current hard drive to see if it fixes it and if you plan on getting a new one anyway you may still be able to use your PC till the new hard drive comes in.

leica-guy

Commendable
Dec 27, 2016

It's Windows 10, I'm not sure what edition of it though. I believe it's just the Home edition, and I know for a fact that it's all up-to-date. I would check, but now every time I click the Start button to go see what version of Windows 10 I'm running, Windows Explorer crashes.

Deverick37

Reputable
Jun 6, 2014
to me this sounds like it could be the hard drive. If you have a windows disk you may want to try a clean install if you have your windows disk, this site may be helpful - http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/
you also may want to backup any important files to a usb before re installing.

and if this does not work or you cannot clean install i would copy your post and create a new one and add more tags for Hard drive, and windows 10, etc.

leica-guy

Commendable
Dec 27, 2016

Thank you very much! It's an older hard drive, so it would make sense if that's the issue. One last question just to be clear - if it's a hard drive issue, are you saying I should reinstall Windows on the same drive or get a new drive? Either is fine with me, I was planning on getting a new one soon to prevent data loss from it dying, but if you think I should use the same drive and just do a fresh install that would be a faster solution. But thank you very much for your help! It's very much appreciated.

Deverick37

Reputable
Jun 6, 2014
No problem! If you have the windows disk and key then i would try to clean install on your current hard drive to see if it fixes it and if you plan on getting a new one anyway you may still be able to use your PC till the new hard drive comes in.

Solution