Clean install windows on new mashine or upgrade windows

CommanderCrap

Reputable
Sep 4, 2014
Built a new pc 6 months ago and just moved my drives over worked fine just bought win 10 pro key should i clean install or just upgrade windows?

Solution
Since you've cloned numerous times, and now want to move to an entirely new OS, the only option that you should be considering is a clean install.

Cloning, you clone all the 'junk', regedits etc that happen over time. Multiply that x3 builds & various drives, you've likely got quite the bloated W7 there.

I'd just clean install your W10 pro & be done with it.

CommanderCrap

Reputable
Sep 4, 2014

i currently have windows 7 ult and have havnt clean instaled windows in 3 builds now moving through 5 hdds and 2 ssds i have only cloned on moving through drives and builds

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Since you've cloned numerous times, and now want to move to an entirely new OS, the only option that you should be considering is a clean install.

Cloning, you clone all the 'junk', regedits etc that happen over time. Multiply that x3 builds & various drives, you've likely got quite the bloated W7 there.

I'd just clean install your W10 pro & be done with it.

Solution

CommanderCrap

Reputable
Sep 4, 2014

thanks man as my windows file is over 70 gb i think i might just do that

lisajordan759

Commendable
Dec 28, 2016
If your older version of windows is working perfectly then you can simply update it. but if you are having difficulty with it. then you need to do clean installation of your windows 10.