Low internet speeds on one computer.

Lyc0

Commendable
Dec 26, 2016
Basically I was having a lot of problems with my PC so I took it over to a friends house to see if I could get some help as I couldn't identify the issue. While I was there he ran a speedtest from my PC at the speed said 40 down, 10 up; his internet is 200 down 10 up. He then ran a speed test on his PC, he got the correct speed. I have similar internet to him, mine being 200 down, 20 up. I rarely go above 40 on speed tests on my home internet from my PC , whereas on my Macbook I get full speeds.

I initially thought this was an internet problem but now it's clearly a problem with my PC. I seen another thread on this website and the solution turned out to be "AMD Quick Stream". I have an nvidia card so I wasn't sure whether there's a Nvidia equivalent to this?

Another thing that confused me is that things like steam, could hit a solid 25Mb/s when downloading so my PC definitely can hit the full speed of around 200Mbitts/s but it seems like there's somthing restricting it? I've reinstalled windows too, the problem still remains after this.

Here's my specs-
Six Core i7 5820k @3.3Ghz
EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 SC
16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX Ram
MSI X99A SLI PLUS Motherboard
1TB Seagate HD
Samsung 850 Evo SSD 250GB
Corsair 750watt PSU
Corsair Hydro Series H100i V2, CPU cooler

Thanks a lot for reading though my massive wall of text, any help would be highly appreciated.

Edit: Forgot to mention, I'm using an ethernet connection.

Solution
Hey Lyc0,

Well really when it comes to internet speed there are a lot of factors that can cause an issue.

It seems you have ruled out your ISP / Internet service, so lets take a look at a few other steps you could take to see an improvement.

1. It may seem dumb but just check your cabled, see if it is Cat5 or above. Make sure it doesn't have any wear and tear or damage. Once this is checked it is still always better to test with a second cable.

2. Since you will be using Cat5 or above some PCs can't handle GB connections. So one thing you can test is setting your LAN card to 100Mbps Full Duplex. Here's how;

- Hold the windows start key on your keyboard + R
the run dialog box should show up
- type "ncpa.cpl"
- right click "Ethernet"...
Hey Lyc0,

Well really when it comes to internet speed there are a lot of factors that can cause an issue.

It seems you have ruled out your ISP / Internet service, so lets take a look at a few other steps you could take to see an improvement.

1. It may seem dumb but just check your cabled, see if it is Cat5 or above. Make sure it doesn't have any wear and tear or damage. Once this is checked it is still always better to test with a second cable.

2. Since you will be using Cat5 or above some PCs can't handle GB connections. So one thing you can test is setting your LAN card to 100Mbps Full Duplex. Here's how;

- Hold the windows start key on your keyboard + R
the run dialog box should show up
- type "ncpa.cpl"
- right click "Ethernet" or "LAN" and click "properties"
Your ethernet adapter properties box will popup
- Click "configure"
- click the tab "advanced" and search for Link Speed (the newest build of windows 10 has LINK SPEED as a tab so click that instead of "advanced")
- Set speed and duplex to 100Mbps Full Duplex
- Restart PC
- run a speed test i use ozspeedtest.com and see what the result is
if its lower, go back and change your speed and duplex to 1Gbps full duplex, restart PC and test again
(still test either way both to see if there is any improvement)

3. flush your DNS, heres how;

- open the run box again (see above for how)
- type cmd and click okay
command prompt should now open
- type in command prompt, ipconfig /flushdns
- run a speed test

4. Clear all your browser history to make sure there is not cache being loaded
run a speed test

5. check to see if you are getting any packet loss

- open command prompt again (see above for how)
- type ping 8.8.8.8 -n 100
-n is for number 100 is the number
8.8.8.8 is google dns, i put this here for you because usually its always up to be able to receive a response (any IP would do though as long as its not one on your local area network)

wait for it to finish and see if there is any packet loss (if there is you will need to do some investigating with your ISP first as it may be their issue)

6. check your router hasn't got a bandwidth control on it and has somehow got your PC set to something lower (easy way if you can't figure out how to do that is just factory reset your router, ask your ISP first incase you have a PPPoE connection or something needing credentials) and try a speed test again.

7. People over look it, but google is your friend and has plenty of information about speed issues that you can troubleshoot with guides and see how you go.

Hope this helps :)

EDIT: forgot to add, if you have a Fibre/Fixed Wireless/Mobile Broadband or Satellite connection with a modem you could cabled directly to it and check your speed that was as well to make sure its not your router (you wont be able to with ADSL as your router is your modem)

- LE

Solution