Looking to Build a New PC - Worried about Future HW releases

klorry56

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
Hello all,

Due to some circumstances with payroll changes with the first week of the new year, the wife has given me the go ahead to rebuild my pc. My machine is roughly 5 years old at this point with an upgraded video card. Proud to say, my i5 sandy bridge has held up to the test of times, but it's time to move on and donate this machine to a friend whose machine is in worse shape than mine.

With that said, I have been doing some research as to what the current best bangs for your buck are to build another machine like the one I have now. Every one of the "Best of" posts seem to have in the comments that people should wait. I have looked around some, but I can't find exactly what it is that is going to be released soon that people should be waiting for. Is there another CPU architecture coming out that is leaps and bounds above the Skylake? Are there new mobo chips that are going to replace the Z170s? (Yes, I have read the X99s are better.. but they seem quite pricey and I am not sure I want to spend "half" of my budget on a MOBO).

Is the speculation really that the 7th gen Intel CPUs are going to be that much better than the current skylakes or would I be safe picking up one of the I7 6700Ks now and just running with it?

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
AMD's RYZEN launches in Q1 (hopefully) 2017 and it's hoped it'll either rival Intel's current Skylake and forthcoming Kaby Lake in performance, and give an alternative to buy or force Intel to lower their prices.

With Kaby Lake chips, chipsets Z270 etc will launch too.

Generally the latest CPU release is anywhere from 5-10% 'better' than the one before it, but that can be measured in speed, performance, efficiency etc, among other things.

If you can wait, it certainly won't hurt. KAby Lake (even RYZEN) *should* impact the Skylake prices, but there's no guarantee. It's not going to increase SKylake prices though.

If you can't wait, then Skylake is a great option - and you won't be sacrificing much by not waiting, at least not in terms of performance.

USAFRet

Titan
In almost every single part category, there is always 'something new' on the horizon. All the time.

Right now, about the only potential major thing is the upcoming release of a new line of CPU's from AMD.
I say 'potential', because we don't really know yet.

And personally, I wouldn't even consider buying one (Zen) until mid summer 2017 at the earliest.

The next Intel release will be an incremental performance boost.

klorry56

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
Thanks everyone! I was hoping it was just something like that. I think I'll just go ahead and start purchasing the parts next week then as I had planned. Now to find a mobo that doesn't have horrible customer reviews in comparison to the Tom's reviews lol