Your PC needs to be repaired

Scafalon

Reputable
Nov 30, 2016
So for some reason my windows 10 laptop is giving me this error every time I try and boot. It tries to boot up, automatic repair fails and this blue screen pops up saying my PC needs to be repaired and that I should use my installation media.

The error code is 0xc000000f. I've tried to refresh it, that wont work. I don't have any installation media either. I'm about to tear my hair out. This is driving me mad. I need my data. I don't have any system recovery images, so can't go for that route. Please help.

Solution
if you can boot up off of the windows 10 usb stick. go into dos screen then you should be able to use the data on the old drive. with another usb stick plugged in you should be able to copy the data to another usb stick. if not use a data cable and laplink software. boot your laptop up as a slave and then move the data to another pc. before you do that try one ram stick see if one of the sticks or the drive is bad.

jpe1701

Honorable
I'm on mobile right now so it's hard for me to get links but Microsoft has a download site where you can download windows 10 and make a bootable USB drive or ISO file to make a DVD . You can then use that to hopefully repair your os.

CALLED WINDOWS MEDIA creation tool.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/
most laptops now have a hidden partion to restore the hard drive from.
before you try and run it make sure all the ram is locked in. also try one ram stick see if one went bad.

Basically.

You need a usb flash drive.
A system that has windows 10 on it.

Use the working system to create a system repair disk .
That will load or can be selected to boot from when the usb flash drive is connected to your laptop.

you can use bootrec.exe tool which in built-in inside Windows. This method also requires a bootable Windows Installation DVD/USB. The major purpose of using this tool is to rebuild the Boot Configuration Data (BCD) that controls how the Windows is started.

So, to access the bootrec.exe tool, follow the instructions below.

1. Restart your computer and use bootable DVD/USB to boot it.

2. If prompted for the key, press any button on the keyboard.

3. Select the language, time, currency and keyboard and hit Next.

4. Select the OS you want to repair and click Next

5. Now, inside System Recovery Options, select the Command Prompt.

6. A black screen will popup will a blinking cursor. Type bootrec.exe inside command prompt and press Enter key on the keyboard. It will start rebuilding the BCD and your PC will be back to its normal state.

Scafalon

Reputable
Nov 30, 2016

Did exactly as you said. Ran the boot.exe thing and chose Rebuildbcd. That went fine, but I'm still getting the same error when I try to boot :S

notj0e

Reputable
Jan 7, 2015
It may be a hardware problem. I read a report that suggests a possible cause being a faulty HDD Data cable, how old is that particular cable that is running to your OS drive?

Scafalon

Reputable
Nov 30, 2016

not sure about the cable, but the laptop is about 4 years old.

notj0e

Reputable
Jan 7, 2015
Sorry I missed the part about it being a laptop. A laptop doesn't necessarily have a data cable that connects the mainboard to the hard drive. My suggestion is, if all else fails, try another 2.5" hard drive

Scafalon

Reputable
Nov 30, 2016

I'd really like my data. I feel so stupid for not backing it up :(

notj0e

Reputable
Jan 7, 2015

So you're unable to get into windows at all?

Scafalon

Reputable
Nov 30, 2016

Nope :(
I've tried the startup repair as well. That wont work either.

Scafalon

Reputable
Nov 30, 2016

Yeah I guess. Thanks anyway.

if you can boot up off of the windows 10 usb stick. go into dos screen then you should be able to use the data on the old drive. with another usb stick plugged in you should be able to copy the data to another usb stick. if not use a data cable and laplink software. boot your laptop up as a slave and then move the data to another pc. before you do that try one ram stick see if one of the sticks or the drive is bad.

Solution